• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering ---- has anyone ever been done for speeding after the fact and due to the fact that they got from A to B at, say, an average speed of 120kmh? All that data will be at hand now, wonder if they crunch it and can be used in that way?

back home there is a stretch of dual carriageway that has such a system, it takes a picture at point 1 then with the speed limit set they work out the average time it should take a car to cross the other point, if its faster than the average time then a "SLOW DOWN" sign flashes up.....they didn't give out tickets though

Yeah but throw a service area stop in and that makes it a hard call. They need a camera or real life cop to bust you. I've done some fast times before and they don't care, just as long as you have the $$$$ (or yen).

• 8 months later...

I sold my car partially due to increased traffic caused by 1000en tolls. The hyogo-nagano trip used to be doable after work on friday (set off at 6, arrive around 12:30) but it became a 9 hour nightmare.

To be fair it was too expensive before however, and it is good to force people into ETC for environments sake. Maybe they will up the prices again once all cars have ETC as standard.

The typical cost of a one kilometre length of Highway grade road in Oz is about $5M. (That's a seperated dual lane carriageway with all the mod cons, excluding bridges, seperate foot/bike paths, etc)

A good example is the 40km long, $1.5B M7 Motorway in the outskirts of Sydney.

This has travel tolling, which means you only pay for the length of road you use (between designated points) - the used the more the user pays.

Obviously, Oz doesn't have the climatic conditions of Japan, or the earthquake issues. These would add a substantial build cost to any road.

At $1.5B, no government could afford such an outlay and long time to recoup the money, so it's becoming more common to finance large State projects via the Build-Own-Operate-Transfer(BOOT)system.

A private firm is contracted to design and build it, own/opperate/maintain it for a certain number of years (usually between 10-30), then transfer it over to public ownership. As with all projects, the bugger is in the contract management - initial writing, adjusting (negotiations), policing, and avoiding grey/unforseen areas.

Using incentives, like those mentioned above, or like in London (congestion tax), increases the likelihood of people mode shifting to other forms of more efficient transport (public transport) or travelling outside peak periods.

In densely populated cities, the removal of tolls would create gridlock - and it's not simply a matter of adding extra lanes - like gas, motorists would quickly fill the gaps.