I noticed on the Yuzawa Now report and also the Kagura site that they plan to open until 24th May. That's pretty much in line with what they always aim for, but can they? I agree with the report, seems very optimistic all considering.

How about other places that usually open until Golden Week and beyond? Able to?

Don't think so.

Friend of mine was speaking to someone (staff) at Gala the other day, who said they were thinking that mid-April is a realistic closing for Gala (they usually are open until Golden Week in early May).

Well, just checking Snow Forecast for the next week, its looking very good for the top of Kagura - almost a metre of snow predicted - thats probably the best forecast Ive seen this entire season! Lets hope it materialises - Im hoping to hit Hakuba this weekend!!

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Kagura for a few hours yesterday. Don't know about spring skiing, more like summer skiing! Heavy snow, fairly busy. I think that marks the end of my season, I'll be on my bike from now on.

Kagura used to be the place I went to when I was based in Tokyo. Really liked that place. I remember snowboarding there in late May, great experience it was with the place boiling up down below.