• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like the idea of a link from Annipuri to Moiwa.

With all these suggest changes I may have to think of Furano or Rutsusu next year.

Would we all still go to Niseko once it is like Disneyland or Perisher or NZ??????

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress

Hehehe, I think that is Blade's point, he likes Moiwa so wants it to stay quiet!

Would we all still go to Niseko once it is like Disneyland or Perisher or NZ??????

I think it is heading in that direction just as fast as it can. I suspect it will end up like Whistler or Queenstown. It IS currently the most Gaijin friendly resort in Japan and I think the momentum it has built up will be unstoppable. Best to guide that momentum rather than attempt to stop it.

With all these suggest changes I may have to think of Furano or Rutsusu next year.

SH, next year base yourself in Asahikawa with a rental car. You can't get much more Japanese as the place barely has tourists. There are awesome onsen scattered around the area and the ramen is to die for.

From there you can go to Asahidake, Kurodake, Kamui and Furano. At a push Tomamu. If you are into the BC then you have other options such as Furanodake, Tokachidake and again Asahidake and Kurodake. Ohh, don't forget Santa Present Park for a giggle. For some English speaking company the Gaijin community there are all rabid skiers and boarders and just love new faces.

Just don't drink at The Den too much or you wont get in any snow time...

There are many ways it can be improved without being turned into Disneyland, and I can't see that happening myself.

Quote:
Another vote for carpark Yakitori - my kids would be in heaven!!

And another. Stuff like that and taiyaki and other quirky makeshift Japanese food places would be good, like they have at festivals.

Geez SH we really are a long, long way from becoming anything like that. It's really not like things have changed that much even over the last 5-6 years. We have more accommodation options now, there's a few foreign bars that weren't here before and sure a few no longer around that were here, same with some restaurants. And yes there a few more rounds eyes in the village for a few months each winter. Other than those few little things it's still good old Niseko biggrin
You really should come over in summer or autumn. It's incredibly beautiful and it's still very much rural Japan.
If you don't like Disneyland then I wouldn't suggest going to Rusutsu, they do have an amusement park with roller coasters and all!
Originally Posted By: Journey Man

Hehehe, I think that is Blade's point, he likes Moiwa so wants it to stay quiet!

Sorry Journey Man, but I think it's quiet hypocritical to agree to want to keep Moiwa quiet, but then go and blow the lid on the 'Kawa!? Whattup with that?

There's nothing around the 'Kawa - don't bother going there...
Originally Posted By: JaySee

Sorry Journey Man, but I think it's quiet hypocritical to agree to want to keep Moiwa quiet, but then go and blow the lid on the 'Kawa!? Whattup with that?

I can understand the idea of keeping it quiet. A little gem. Seriously though since the tour operators started taking crew over there it’s anything but. Its part of the “packageâ€
Also add to the mix that Niseko skiers sneak over for a few then drop back over into Annapuri wouldn’t do any wonders for their bottom line.
The real estate development? How is that going? The towers? Do they ever have anyone stay in them?
This was a good day. Maybe 13 people on the lifts.
moiwa-nisekolunchtime-2-1.jpg

How to make Niseko better?

Get the resort to issue bonds and strongly urge local property owners and tour operators to buy them. Form an independent (of the resort)committee to decide how the raised capital is spent, focusing on what the bond holders think is appropriate. Get the resort to chip in too, of course.

If enough people who can benefit most from improvements aren't prepared to take some of the risk and help finance them, forget about the whole thing and just enjoy the snow and accept the place as it is.

Bonds... an interesting concept.

Is anyone actually going to be doing much in the way of investment in infrastructure and development at the moment? Seems way too dodgy an economic climate for most projects to get off the ground.

We are making some major investments in our business, but it is basic goods and our financial position is pretty sound - the bank likes us... But I would think banks (Aus, Japan, Europe - pretty much anywhere) would be hesitant to lend money for the development of facilities in holiday resorts - luxury/indulgent/first to go in a crisis and all that...

Maybe I am wrong - HOPE I am wrong - but I think any real changes will be a few years off even with the brains trust working on awesome idea;s.

I've been going there for a few years now and noticed a steady decline in the quality of food you can buy on the hill. This year was the worst of all as I noticed about a 10%~30% increase in prices. There are almost zero options for healthy eats once you're up on the hill.

Has anyone noticed anything similar or am I just getting picky in my old age?

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
There are almost zero options for healthy eats once you're up on the hill.

Who on earth wants healthy eats while you're skiing? razz

lol The Kawa needs a few more faces to be really good. Not too many mind you. I think it's pretty safe for the moment, it's too hard for the average I-want-everything-done-for-me package skier/boarder. The city council talk about wanting more snow tourists, but with money and snow drying up I can't see it getting really popular any time soon.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that the pow in the interior makes Niseko's pow look like porridge...

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Is Hakuba doing that Mr Wiggles?

No, but there is far more foreign tourism and foreign owned property in Niseko than in Hakuba, which makes it a much better candidate. I think it would be great if the Hakuba community could do something though. Anyone can come up with ideas for others to risk their money on. Talk is cheap.

I suppose I shouldn't mention that the pow in the interior makes Niseko's pow look like porridge...

When you get it wink

lol The Kawa needs a few more faces to be really good. Not too many mind you. I think it's pretty safe for the moment, it's too hard for the average I-want-everything-done-for-me package skier/boarder. The city council talk about wanting more snow tourists, but with money and snow drying up I can't see it getting really popular any time soon.

I've been hearing those rumors of Kamui and the local govt for years;

"Kamui's going to close"...
"Kamui's being bought out by the owners of Perisher"...
"Kamui's getting a resort hotel at the base"...
"The BK are going to buy-out Kamui"...
"Gretzky 99 just signed a contract vouching for JCRip's behavior and season pass etiquette"...
"Coach just launched a refrigerator down the stairs"... Sorry, getting carried away here.
...etc etc...

The reality is that the Kawa's has it's hey day that's for sure - anyone who lived the Boarders/Chico's years will know what I'm saying - let's start a thread with some of those old tales.
But keep the pow stories under wraps wink Please.

Hope you'll let us know what outcomes are decided, probably not in detail, but at least a broad overview - not wishing to ask for commercial detail!