• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
The Niseko Promotion Board, along with the Hokkaido, Kutchan and Niseko governments are working together to create a masterplan for the Niseko area.

Plans are still in the preliminary stage, but the governments have already agreed to bury power lines on main road Hirafu Zaka, to be carried out from 2010.

ah good, some planning underway. Wonder how long it'll take.
Originally Posted By: thursday
Quote:
The Niseko Promotion Board, along with the Hokkaido, Kutchan and Niseko governments are working together to create a masterplan for the Niseko area.

Plans are still in the preliminary stage, but the governments have already agreed to bury power lines on main road Hirafu Zaka, to be carried out from 2010.

ah good, some planning underway. Wonder how long it'll take.

Not saying it won't improve the village, but there are far more pressing concerns.

For example mountain operations and the bus network to name but two
Originally Posted By: Go Native
One good bit of news, there will be an international ATM in the village next season! clap

YES!

Well there is one very intellegent piece of economic stimulus for you....with easy access to more of thier money your free spending international guests will be watching thier pennies WAY less.

Good thing.

Agree with Mike. While the lines buried is a good thing, I think there are more important. Anyhow, different people involved in each kind of decidion, so improvement is good. Lets hope some more pressing things can be dealt with too.

It's more of an icing issue. The lines are underground in large cities like Sapporo and Asahikawa, but the underground utility galleries have to be heated to prevent ice buildup in the generally damp subterranean areas. It's significantly cheaper to have above-ground electrical lines in more rural areas.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
One good bit of news, there will be an international ATM in the village next season! clap

There, how easy was that? Took no time at all wink Now for the rest of the wish list...

I liked it as it was. Some good ideas - the ATM will be used a lot, the cables moved will make it look good. Took us a while to get used to the transport around the resorts which I thought could be better explained (but then again a new place often is confusing at first).

Great place.

Originally Posted By: joshnii
Out of interest, where will it be and who 'owns' that?

I can't give too many details at the moment but will let you know when it becomes general public knowledge.

I can let you know the reasons why it has probably taken so long to get one.

The bank 'owns' the ATM and whoever organises to house it actually has to pay rent for the privaledge of providing the service. There is no money to be made by those organising the service at all (it only costs money).
Due to Japanese law the ATM must be inside, so the ATM will be within a building and not a hole in the wall. This is the ony benefit for the company organising the ATM, people will have to come into their office to get money out and so the company gets a fair amount of exposure they otherwise may not get. And of course the infamous Japanese red tape to get through to do just about anything hasn't made it any easier to organise.

lol

I'm sure I can remember when I first came here they even took 105 yen from you if you withdrew after the bank was closed on a weekday...