As someone who's now clocked two Japan (Honshu) trips, last year and this year, I was wondering just how bad this year was in the grand scheme of things. Was it gobsmackingly awful,the sort of season no one has ever seen before, or was it just once in a decade or so crap? I should say that in spite of the general crapness, we had plenty of fun in our two weeks - it just wasn't powder day after powder day, like we had last year.

I can only speak about where I live ---- very bad!

This season saw by far (by a wide margin) the least snow in this part of Niigata since I came quite a few years ago (and that is fact not a vague memory recall). I didn't have to move or shovel snow once this season. Usually it's at least once a week with consistent heavy snowfall coming through and many great days of deep snow.

It was as if the season never really got going proper in this region, we skipped the "mid-winter" bit.

Having said that, I am lucky and able to pick and choose, and I have had some wonderful days out. It has been very hit and miss though. This area is famous for it's consistent and huge amounts of snow (the original "Snow Country"). That was taken away from us this year, which is worrying.

Here's to a bumper season next time!

I started skiing at the end of October, there's still top to bottom coverage up here, and this week is slated to be deep.

Anyone that calls this season in and around the Niseko Resort Area bad just hasn't got out enough.

"Not as good as....." I can understand and live with.

Bad? I call bullshit on your bad and raise you a face shot smile bestsnow

Don't know cause I live on Shikoku and all but Niseko seemed to have a pretty normal year from reading Mike's reports and drooling over the pics. Generally speaking, years when it's really snowy and cold in relatively Southern areas, it often doesn't snow further North because it's TOO cold with too much high pressure. Hokkaido seemed to be right in the snow belt this winter.

Places like Hakuba had enough of a base (well, up high anyway. -glide cracks were appearing down low as early as the beginning of February) but Honshu for the most part lacked the consistent fresh stuff. If you live in snowcountry you can choose your ski days but if you're a tourist (like me) then you have to get lucky (which I did) if it's powder that you want.

Places further south-west like Hachikita which usually rock through until March had a couple of good weeks in January but then started to suck for the most part from around Jan. 30. Down here we had a couple of good dumps in the mountains but then the weather started coming from the south instead of the north. Not winter-like at all.

It's cold now though! And windy too. Straight from the north. Not good jogging weather.

I'm with MP - Niseko was awesome.

We arrived to a bluebird day - then it rained much to our horror THEN it snowed and snowed and snowed - I honestly did not think it was going to stop.

I honestly have never seen so much snow. I truly had my powder experience on this trip. Funny cause I thought last year was great.

bestsnow

I wouldn't characterize this season as a "bad" one... at least up on Hokkaido anyway. It was a late winter, but not a short or light one. Heck, it's still snowing, and Sapporo Kokusai has a near record of 4M snowbase at the top!

yoo well its my first post. I live in Hokkaido, dead center near Asahikawa, at the foot of Asahidake. this has been my second season.

This year definitely lacked the snowfall and cold that last year had. Typically, we get a good base (ground-level) by mid december, and it snows every day until feb, then it gets reallly cold.

we didnt get a good base until christmas(ish)-- and we had a few days of rain through january, and only a few good storms. honestly last year, from december till febuary I only remember seeing the sun 3-4 times. this year it was sunny quite a bit.

that being said, it has been a late winter and its snowing right now, this time last year spring was in full swing. from the last week in febuary we probably doubled our snowfall (where I am) the local hill that I go to (Kamui) has closed, but Asahidake still has some awesome powder. Furano I havent been to this year, Kurodake is in the same boat as Asahidake, as is the Kita-Taisetsu area.

but anyway- I am spoiled living here so i shouldnt bitch.

(North East Nagano, Nozawa/Madarao area)

Similar thoughts to muikabochi.

In the minds of visitors, it might not be as bad as some locals think - after all, they might be comparing it to Australia - but the point is that for Japan it has been pretty poor. And giving that consistent deep powder is one of the draws of Japan, it not happening is grandpa

My definition of "bad" used to be Winter 06/07, but this winter has been considerably worse again, so "very bad" I suppose.

Obviously you still get good days in a bad year, but even then there won't be the same number of places to play. Good days in a good year is best!

This season? Definitely less good than some in the past, but still good. If it was bad for you, then your timing and/or destination may have been mischanced, or as MikePow says, maybe you just didn't get out enough.

(With respect to Hakuba, don't know where you are talking about)

Quote:
Definitely less good than some in the past,

Oh without a doubt

Quote:
but still good.

You would be struggling to find many people not into bullshit and/or marketing who would agree with that. Unless of course you are comparing to a place that was absolutely awful.

Quote:
If it was bad for you, then your timing and/or destination may have been mischanced

Timing? Very few awesome days, you would have to be lucky to get one of them.

Destination? Definitely

Quote:
or as MikePow says, maybe you just didn't get out enough.

But Niseko has had a decent season. Other places do not really apply.