I will soon be in Japan again. This time, beside the obvious Tokyo, I will stay in Sapporo in early April, 6-10 to be precise.

Is Eastern a holiday in Japan?

Is there still ski at that time? Checking the weather now seems ok for ski...

And what are good resorts near Sapporo? Are there ski places you can reach from Sapporo, or is it better to go to near ski hotel - and risk total boredom after lift closure?

PS: I have done zero research right now.

Well ... time to do some research then! AFAICR there are a few loal hills around Sapporo - one that comes to mind is the Olympic ski jump hill visible from the city centre.

Not sure what day that is...

Most larger resorts and ski areas should be open until Golden Week (early May) at least partially. There is some light snowfall still, so you should have some moderately decent snow in early April.

I checked a few resort close to Sapporo on snowjapan.com . Seems nearby the resorts are rather small (am I spoiled by Happo?).

My question would be, is it feasible to stay in Sapporo city and shuttle to the nearby resorts and should I stay in a actual resort hotel. Sure, that would be more convenient, but then I am also stuck to one resort.

To put my meaning into perspective, to stay in Tokyo and ski in Happo is technically possible, but not really feasible.

Eastern is April 11-13, but I stay in Sapporo a bit earlier, 6-10. For the snow possibility I will just see.....

Kraut, I thought you went to Niseko a coupla seasons ago?

There are a few resorts reachable within 90 mins from Sapporo. If you like trying out some, then you could stay in Sapporo and do a daily treasure hunt.

Niseko will be packed during Easter, but still worth it if the snow keeps coming.

Never have been to Hokkaido. It's first time. Since I am just a few days there I don't want to spend a day in a not-so-good resort. If Niseko is THE place, then I wil lgo there.

I do not worry too much about Easter, coz I am there April 6-10 and leave right before the Easter weekend. That Friday is already travel day.