• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
Quote:
Former Formula 1 driver Ukyo Katayama has been rescued from the slopes of Japan's Mount Fuji, but two of his climbing companions are feared dead.

Katayama, 46, was walking down a trail at a height of about 2,200m on the 3,776m mountain when a rescue team from Shizuoka police found him.

Katayama told reporters he was "alright", but two others are missing feared dead in harsh weather.

Katayama drove in almost 100 Grands Prix in the 1990s.

Experienced climber

Kyodo news agency reported that the driver made two calls for help to police - at 0100 (1700 GMT Thursday) and 0730 local time.

The messages said that one colleague "appeared to have died and another was in danger".

Katayama indicated that his companions' tents had blown away.

Kyodo named the missing pair as Eiichi Usami 43, and Toshio Horikawa, 34, who both work for Katayama's firm.

The temperature was reported to be -25C.

Katayama drove mainly for Tyrell in the 1990s, then switched to rallying before taking up his love of climbing.

He has scaled the summits of Mt McKinley, Kilimanjaro and a number of Himalayan peaks.
  • 8 months later...

THE anonymity of the Stig was vaguely amusing for about 10 minutes in 2002, the BBC was told last night.

As the corporation launched a multi-million pound legal battle to protect the identity of a man who drives a car on a television programme, licence payers across the country said there was absolutely nothing they cared less about.

Bill McKay, from Stevenage, said: "Do I think the Stig's identity should be kept secret or not? It's a tricky one isn't it? Oh, I know - are you seriously **** asking me that question?

"Get off my property before I put on some white overalls and a matching crash helmet and run you the **** over in the sort of car you never see on Top Gear because it doesn't do 280mph and has room for a bag of **** shopping.

"Nevertheless it remains 100% effective at killing people who care about stupid shit."

Martin Bishop, from Peterborough, said: "I really like it when Jeremy introduces him. 'Some say he eats his own bum, lives in a golfbag and doesn't have any eyes. We just call him the Stig'. It's brilliant.

"Actually, it's not. That was a complete lie. I don't like it at all. But of course I'm not an eight year-old boy."

And Helen Archer, from Doncaster, added: "There is no more pressing issue for this country to address than its attitudes to Top Gear.

"For all those who get upset when Jeremy Clarkson says he wants to drive a Porsche through a nursery, what you have to remember is that he's a dreary, pathetic, middle-England cliché who couldn't write his way out of a wet paper bag. Ignore him.

"Meanwhile, for all those who say Top Gear is 'just a bit of fun', then you **** pay for it.

"And as for the Stig. His name is Ben Collins and the best he could do with his life was to go on television and encourage people to drive like dicks."