A farce before it starts! What is going on? I simply can't believe how ridiculous this all is, just before the season starts.

Seems Hamilton is going to struggle in that new car.

Quote:
With only nine days to go before the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne, the FIA performed an abrupt U-turn last night on its decision to amend the scoring system for the Formula One drivers' championship. Its introduction has been delayed until next year.

The sudden change of heart by the world governing body came after the Formula One Teams Association (Fota) claimed that Tuesday's decision to adopt the new system, in which the world champion would be the driver who wins most races rather than the one who secures most points, was illegal under the FIA's rules because it did not have the unanimous backing of the teams.

Underlying the spat is the belief of some in the FIA's corridors of power that the teams are worried that the Brawn GP cars of Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello are so quick that they could romp away to an unassailable lead in the title race under the new system.

Senior figures in the sport expect the Brawn cars to be the subject of a technical protest over the design of their diffusers by rival teams in Melbourne, but there is no guarantee that the action will succeed.

The chaos over how this year's championship will be scored comes amid increasing pressure on the FIA over its radical plan to institute a voluntary budget cap of £30million on teams next year. The latest figure to voice his disappointment with the initiatives - both of which were pushed through the FIA by its president, Max Mosley - is Lewis Hamilton, the defending champion.

“It's a shame what is happening to Formula One,†Hamilton was quoted as saying by his team, McLaren Mercedes. “It's hard to believe that these recent decisions will improve things for the trackside spectators and TV viewers, who should always be our No1 priority, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

“For the first time in recent years we have the teams, drivers, sponsors and fans all working together for the good of our sport - now we just need the governing bodies to listen to us and help us.â€

Hamilton's contribution is the latest from a lengthening line of present and former drivers, among them Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso and Mark Webber, none of which is likely to cut much ice with Mosley. The FIA president has little time for mere drivers when it comes to playing Formula One politics. He may be a touch more concerned, however, by a contribution from Luca di Montezemolo, the president of Ferrari and chairman of Fota.

“I really think it's absurd, severe and dangerous that one week before the first grand prix, Formula One is in such a situation, which is very bad for its credibility, its security, the teams, the car manufacturers, the fans, the journalists and the sponsors who invest,†Di Montezemolo said.

“It is important to have a serene climate and to avoid continuous changes, creating uncertainty for those who work and making it difficult to make decisions for the future.â€

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste of fuel and design effort!

Too bad the sort of money these teams spend couldn't be used to create safer and more functional vehicles for the rest of us. eg, the amount of money they have spent this season alone, would go a long way towards making a decent battery system for electric cars with short recharge times and reasonable range.

I am with you on this JA.

What is the big deal about driving cars fast that justifies earning big bucks. Overpriced overrated toys for show. Promoting a pertro-chemical based economy that is unsustainable? F1 is a pretty boring circus just watching cars go round and round like a merry go round. And you don't get to ride it.

What's to boycott?? not watch on TV?? It ain't evenbroadcast free to air, so no chance! (I will not pay for crap programming ... there's enough crap on free to air!)

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
What's to boycott?? not watch on TV??
>>> correct

It ain't evenbroadcast free to air
>>> it is here

So ... London ain't the whole world!

true ... just making an observation is all. The fact that F1 is available fta in London doesn;t change the fact that the rest of the world doesn't get it.

Actually, I do not "get" the obscene amounts paid to drive for a couple of hours around and around - must be boring, that! - when there are much more useful ways to spend that money (like in research into ways of transporting people and freight without oil, for just one!).

I hope you emjoy the F1 on the telly! I cannot be bovvered!

yep, get it free here in Perth - havent missed a single race since 1982.

The politics etc are annoying, but for me F1 is a religion. Its not about "watching cars go round and round" its listening to the commentary, the insights. Appreciating the engineering greatness, the super-human capabilities of the drivers.

JA you grumpy old bastard, this is the F1 Thread to discuss the racing. Not a thread for you to troll with your usual cynical bitterness. Go take you rant to the Football 2009 thread and tell them what you think of their preferred sport.

FWIW - its free to air in Japan too.

Back on topic.

This year should be very close in terms of racing. With all the new regs for aero' and engines and slicks, the racing will be a lot closer.

There will be many surprises on the podium this year.

I just wish Bernie £cclestone would bugger off and take that annoying Mosely with him.

Mosely was on Newsnight a week or so ago - defending his Nazi sex orgy story and being a victim of the press. He wants the laws changed so he can know a story is going to be published before it is giving him a chance to close the door before it is opened forever.

Originally Posted By: Sarge1
F1 is on free to air in OZ JA. Probably Southern Cross Ten in Tamworth

Not sure that our TV can get 10! timimg would be wierd too. (OMG 12 - 6pm on Sat and 12 - 7pm on Sun!) for the Aus GP, wonder what times the Monaco GP will be on - bet it won't get 13 hours!

I'm the wrong demographic for TEN - not a teeny bopper, not into Simpsons or Losers (had to check the program to see what they had on, wink) so no interest, never even read their program list because they have so little of interest.