Flight things (online checkin, seat position, people who don't move....)

I had the misfortune to have to take a 12 hour flight last week. I say misfortune because I ended up sitting by the window with 2 people to my left, slap bang in the middle of the back part of economy. With my slight case of claustrophobia, large (but not fat) frame and inability to sit still for any length of time - even on a sofa - this was not good. I ended up standing at the back for large chunks of the flight I could feel myself getting more and more worked up.

I usually do the online checkin 24 hours before but this time I couldn't do it, so that's what I was left with.

People here always do the online checkin? Seems unfair how if someone is connecting to the long flight they can check in for that long flight 1 hour before their first flight - and get the pick (I presume).

Another thing I noticed on this flight was the 3 people in front of me. They did not get out of their set once. Not once!! So they were sat there for 12 hours. I don't know how they did it (and I presume they were actually alive!)

lol

Hate the flights part of any journey but the desintions are usually worth it. Anything over about 4 hours and my tailbone starts to hurt so I like to try annd get up an walk around - but it is not always easy....especially when the hostesses ask you not to loiter. I find the best way to get past that restriction is to get up for the loo when it is busy and 'loiter in the queue'...

We did the early pick your seats etc. But on check in (first ones in line) did not get them.

ANYWAY I got sat next to a young man that made Mr Bean look normal. My husband laughed for 8 hours, I am telling you I could right a book on my flight. Then because I felt he was a little special needs I told him he could stick with us all the way to Sapporo so he didn't get lost. BIG MISTAKE!!!! doh

To give you an example he took a photo every 1/2 hour of the flight schedule on the screen, then recorded all the details in the diary and then took a photo of the conditions outside (CLOUD) and then took a photo of himself. SERIOUSLY!!!!! That is only 1/4 of the bizzaro things he did. veryshocked

Maybe the people infront of you took sleeping tablets. There is no way I could sit there that long without getting up??

BA sure don't let you do that, not when you book through an agent anyway. I always make a point of trying to request a seat with more legroom, but they always tell me there's nowt they can do. I just try the online checkin as soon as I can and actually most times until now I seem to have been able to get a seat behind a bulkhead or exit).

But Jokestar (sorry - Jetstar wink) allow that if you book and pay online.

We booked and paid both legs of our recent Japow trip, selected seats and got the allocated ones both trips.

As for getting up and moving around, I can sit (and sleep) for the whole trip - or near enough to it) so no problem if the flight goes overnight (which I always try to do, so the jetlag is minimised).

Just for the record, I hate longhaul as much as I hate heathrow and BA.

I take a walk from the front to the back and to the front on the other aisle. Stopping to lookat the magazine racks. It's even better if there's an upstairs.

If you walk to the galley instead of pushing the bell, the babes appreciate it and would give you a huge glass of whisky just so you would pass out.

JAL let you book seats when booking online. I went to UK with them recently and it was great, I think they may be my favourite airline now alongside Singapore Babelines.

Recently I havent been using agents, airline websites seem to offer best prices unless you book very late. The best deals seem to be from agents at last minute (within 3 weeks).

Interesting topic for me at the moment...trying to work out how best to organise seating arrangement on our QANTAS flights this July and August.

July: they had an online sale, had 3 tix available at the cheapest rate, but if I booked for all 5 it charged me the next rate up x 5, so I booked the cheaper 3, and then the next two as two separate transactions. But it would be nice if we can still sit together. I thought that an early as possible online check-in might b enough to make that happen ... now I am not so sure.

August: Even more complicated. I am meeting a friend in Melbourne and we have both individually booked to be on the Melb-Canberra flight. I thought if I checked in at Perth with my friends flight details they could maybe allocate us seats next to each other. Return flight will be even MORE complex as there are about 8 women returning together - the melb friend and I booked it togther so we are OK, but the other 6 will have all booked individually online. Maybe a call to QANTAS before departure with everyones flight details will work..

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Return flight will be even MORE complex as there are about 8 women returning together ...

OMG, eight women in a block of seats! The airline will need to leave at least 2 rows fore and aft, plus the side rows, empty so as to not annoy the other passengers! (Joke, mama, joke, truly!)
rollabout

Flew Qantas Perth to Canberra a few years back, family of 6.

I phoned a week beforehand and was assured that we were all sat together.

Got there on the night and the six of us were all over the plane, including my son, 12 years old, seated by himself.

Morons.

the only upside was that my son threw up everywhere as we were coming into land, and I was right at the other end of the plane, blissfully unaware until after we'd disembarked, and the qantas staff had cleaned him up!!

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
the only upside was that my son threw up everywhere as we were coming into land, and I was right at the other end of the plane, blissfully unaware until after we'd disembarked, and the qantas staff had cleaned him up!!

Wahoo!!
rollabout

I really dont care if we are all split up I enjoy a nice bit of peace and quiet.