I would learn at a really small resort.

It's cheaper (you are not paying for Quads and gondalas that you wont use), and tends to be full of beginners so you wont feel stressed by people hurtling past.

Oh, oohhoo

You don't want lots of beginners around you. It makes it more dangerous. But then again, it's scary when people are wizzing past you. They might be over-speeding-outta-control newbies, too.

I think WIDE runs are the best for beginners. Flat is not necessary the best or safest. It hurts more when it's flat and can be more difficult to turn. With wide runs people can anticipate your move and where to go, and you can do big turns taking your time.

The problem is, there are nice wide runs on the top of the mountain, and hence better snow, which makes it great for learning, but going back to the bottom is a hassle. Hassle for the beginners, hassle for the rest who deals with people stuck or stopping in the middle of a narrow run on the way down. That makes it dangerous. So really, a place that is not crowded and has good snow is the best place for beginners IMHO

I learnt how to snowboard on red runs and didn't see a single beginner on the mountain.

It worked out well for me.

I also think choosing the right board according to your WEIGHT makes a big difference.

People talk about the length, but how stiff the board is more important. I would choose a centered stance board than a 1 inch set back.