Hi everyone,

I was wondering which resort is best in Japan for a total beginner like me who wants to learn snowboarding. I know all resorts have so-called "beginner courses" but when I went to one (my first time snowboarding by the way), the courses weren't beginner at all. I can only slide on the literally bottom of the resort, which is near the gondola/lift boarding areas, as most of the beginner courses are too steep.

Also even if I can practice in that small part of the beginner course, there is no lift to get me to the top part of that segment, so I have to ride the lift up to the topmost part of the course which unfortunately is not for the beginners of beginners.

PLS help!!

Try Gala-Yuzawa, Kandatsu or Kagura(Tashiro) slopes - all have basic enough slopes for you to get some "mad skillz" then you can step it up to some longer, steeper slopes as well.

Having just got back from Happo One (Hakuba/Nagano), I can confirm that the beginner area was like a ghost town (even on the Saturday. the slopes were also wide and not too steep for the beginners.

i cant offer opinion on the quality of lessons or instructors though

P2070023.jpg

Tsugaike, hands down. Absolutely the best for beginners, with its gentle slopes at the base of the mountain, uncrowded on the left side.

In Yuzawa, Iwappara is pretty good, mountain shape similar to Tsugaike. I was an instructor for a weeklong school ski camp there a few years ago.

For reference, look at Ski Mapple or similar publication which lists all the ski runs (courses) with minimum and maximum slope angles.

Have you taken any lessons?

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Why not Gala? Has nice gentle slopes...

Gala is often very busy (or seems it because....)
The slopes at Gala are very narrow.
There aren't many slopes that are suitable for beginners at Gala. In fact, I wouldn't really say any were really.
The slopes at Gala are nowhere near as gentle, wide, uncrowded and beginner freindly as the ones at Iwappara.

friend
Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Gareth, which slope is that?

Shirakaba is listed at 20/11 degrees (max/min.) while Sakka is 18/10.

dyna, its towards the top of the Sakka 3 chairlift, with the lift on the left of the pic
Originally Posted By: snowbone
Hi everyone,

I was wondering which resort is best in Japan for a total beginner like me who wants to learn snowboarding. I know all resorts have so-called "beginner courses" but when I went to one (my first time snowboarding by the way), the courses weren't beginner at all. I can only slide on the literally bottom of the resort, which is near the gondola/lift boarding areas, as most of the beginner courses are too steep.

Also even if I can practice in that small part of the beginner course, there is no lift to get me to the top part of that segment, so I have to ride the lift up to the topmost part of the course which unfortunately is not for the beginners of beginners.

PLS help!!

This is one of the weirdest complaints I have heard. The second part of your complaint i understand (re lifts) but the first is a complete mystery.

By the way, its like riding a bike, riding slowly is harder than riding at a good clip.

Matt
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Where did you go snowbone?

In the area I live in, I would recommend Iwappara (in Yuzawa town).

Hi Muikabochi!
I went with friends to Hakuba Iwatake.
Its a good resort and ill probably be back there once get the skills to pay the bills evilgrin
Dunno if it was the lack of snow this season or because its already March but i didnt really find any wide, gentle runs there.
Originally Posted By: dyna8800
Tsugaike, hands down. Absolutely the best for beginners, with its gentle slopes at the base of the mountain, uncrowded on the left side.

In Yuzawa, Iwappara is pretty good, mountain shape similar to Tsugaike. I was an instructor for a weeklong school ski camp there a few years ago.

For reference, look at Ski Mapple or similar publication which lists all the ski runs (courses) with minimum and maximum slope angles.

Have you taken any lessons?

I see a lot of you are recommending Iwappara. It'll be the first place in my list next season...

I havent taken any lessons yet, and when I go snowboarding I go with friends who are total noobs too smile

But i have a pretty good idea on how to start based from bragging friends and ofcourse the internet&youtube

Any suggestions dyna8800 on where i can take lessons?

Lessons is the go snowbone!

Honest.

3 yrs ago I was a total n00b too - but I take lessons every year - initially every trip - but now every year at least - and I am riding black inbounds and odd easy side country - not bad for an old girl.

Get the lessons!!!

If I had not I would still be on my ass on the green slopes :-)

If you are wanting good beginner slopes, I don't think it can be beaten. (I remember hearing that in Hakuba, Tsugaike is similar).

Once you are past beginner though it gets a bit boring, but thats good (for beginners) because it means that people looking for more challenge will be elsewhere.

Good luck!

Lessons - I'm all for it !

Get a wrist guard, knee and elbow pads for volley ball, hand ball.

If you are one of the "go for it" types, You will fall a lot.

I fell 150 times on my first day. 50 my second day. well... I did it on a red run..

I wish I had these pads, and an arse pad. Impact shorts in hindsight. lol

Another vote for Tsugaike Kogen. There are tonnes of long, wide, flat runs on that mountain. It gets a lot of snow too.

My advice would be to pick a day when there is good snow. Freshly groomed snow is so much easier to learn on than ice - for one if you fall over it doesn't hurt, and you don't have to be as precise with your edges to make turns.

Been to both Iwappara and Tsugaike and they are both good for beginners.

I'd choose Iwappara though - bigger (for beginners) and also extremely easy to get to from Tokyo.

Originally Posted By: snowbone

I see a lot of you are recommending Iwappara. It'll be the first place in my list next season...

I havent taken any lessons yet, and when I go snowboarding I go with friends who are total noobs too smile

But i have a pretty good idea on how to start based from bragging friends and ofcourse the internet&youtube

Any suggestions dyna8800 on where i can take lessons?

For Iwappara, the best time to visit would be in late January or in February, when they have good snowpack. It does not get a lot of early snow.

I took a snowboard lesson from Ben (in English) and would recommend him highly.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/features-snowboard-instructing-in-japan.html

It was really good, and had lots of fun!
Originally Posted By: Wizz
I'd choose Iwappara though - bigger (for beginners) and also extremely easy to get to from Tokyo.

Do you mean that Iwappara has more beginner terrain?

Tsugaike has much more expansive terrain.