Hakuba vs Niseko - A 37 year old Australian Snowboarders opinion

Well, I wasn't trying to create any fisticuffs but more just getting out my views on the differences.. Too often, we get 'one is better than the other' but no real reason why...

Hakuba could be the BEST resort, but unfortunately at this time of year, the snow is not the best so hard to get a good judgement from that point of view..

The restaurants, onsens, off piste 'tree's' and all that could also be very good, but with little information in English to point you in the right direction, it is again hard to make the best decision...

The biggest thing that I could see that was just a shame, was looking over to those BEAUTIFUL peaks, and not hearing a single chopper taking some people out heli-boarding...

I have spent time doing that, and that truly rocks!!! Yes, you do need AVI gear etc etc, and PLEASE no fighting, but it potentially has brilliant opportunities to have good in boundaries tree skiing, and also has the opportunity to have the extra activities, for those with the dollars and the skill level to do that!!!

I think that the only way to get the improvement is to keep talking about it on a positive note, and eventually there will be change!!!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will not see a heli up there as they are protected national parks.

Again Hakuba is where Niseko was just before bringing in the Niseko rules. Hakuba is just starting to get things a bit more organized. I found a winter rally course with 4wd buggys 3 weeks ago, right out of the blue no advertising that I knew of. This is typical of the disjointedness of the cooperation.

We have had some decent seasons due to elevation the last few years but this was our crap year.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Originally Posted By: JA
Almost on topic, just saw this report from the Sydney Morning Herald ... worth a read, I think.

She has a real bee in her bonnet about Niseko and doesn't do much to encourage people to visit Nagano.

This is quite an odd article. Obviously a paid advert for Hakuba, but they hardly got their money's worth. These sorts of articles are such a waste of time. Some blow-in who knows nothing about the area or even Japan (it seems), spends a very short period of time in town and hands off a couple of cliche's. What a waste of time.

She backhands Niseko for the aussie/foreign influx and laments the japaneseness of Hakuba.

Seriously sweetheart - don't give up your day job.
Originally Posted By: Fattwins
You will not see a heli up there as they are protected national parks.

Again Hakuba is where Niseko was just before bringing in the Niseko rules. Hakuba is just starting to get things a bit more organized. I found a winter rally course with 4wd buggys 3 weeks ago, right out of the blue no advertising that I knew of. This is typical of the disjointedness of the cooperation.

We have had some decent seasons due to elevation the last few years but this was our crap year.

That national park thing is a big issue. Wasn't there a major problem during the olympics becasue one of the down hill courses was too short and getting the start moved further up the hill - into the national park (or whatever it is) - that wasn't possible.

Plenty of these lightweight travel advertising articles in newspapers these days. Must be a crossover from airline magazines.

Happo does deserve credit for being less uptight than other resorts.

I think the biggest mistake for people skiing in Hakuba is them not doing there research. There are a number of accommodation options here for all budgets where the owners/managers will offer advice on where to ski. Most places however will point you at the mountain and that's it. There is also a perception that everybody wants to ski powder. The biggest problem I see with even people I would consider very good skiiers is they actually can't ski powder very well especially when it is deep. A few inches on a groomed run is their heaven. Throw into the mix the fair weather skiers who head to the monkey onsen or Matsumoto Castle on the days it's dumping :0 Mogul skiing is still very popular in Japan and as 95% of skiers on the mountains here are Japanese I am sure the mountains are doing the right thing by catering for them. The fact is that there is something for everyone here and at most of the resorts in Japan. I moved here purely for the snow and this year I have had my share of bottomless powder days - the bonus of living in a resort.

You would have had a bucket load more bottomless powder days up in Niseko this season razz

Honestly though I was under the belief that the domestic market has been declining now for many years so are they really doing the right thing by this market? I think many Japanese resorts are still only catering to old school skiers who built the whole industry up in the 80's but are now getting on in age and skiing a whole lot less. They don't really seem to have grasped the concept that skis have changed over the years and the rising popularity of off-piste skiing and boarding amongst younger Japanese. Their market they cater for is dying off and yet they do little to cater to the emerging markets. I know change in this country is always at a glacial pace but the old buggers who run these resorts need to wake up and start catering to the new generations of skiers/boarders/foreigners in this country if they want to survive.

Those paid for articles will push Nozawa and Myoko next season. It is a cycle of advertising and it actually works.

The domestic market is in decline, but if anyone believes that just opening up off piste skiing is the way to fix it, then that is just as narrow minded as the ski resorts.

There are many things I would fix first before just opening up terrain.

Off-piste is just one aspect for sure and is just one example of the inability of Japanese resort managers to make any of the changes required to ensure an ongoing profitable industry. I think everyone probably agrees though there are just way too many crappy little resorts in this country. Some consolidation is inevitable.

The domestic market is in decline, but if anyone believes that just opening up off piste skiing is the way to fix it, then that is just as narrow minded as the ski resorts.

Definitely.

Like lifts with covers for starters.

What percentage of "off-piste skiers/riders" are there that really have any idea what they are doing ? I have seen plenty of people skiing down obviously unsafe areas. Perhaps the resort's thinking is, if we open this and that, they will just ski anywhere and everywhere, under any conditions. I think most visitors are clueless that a safe slope one day might be unsafe the next day, not just to them , but everyone below them. Honestly, given the numbers of skiers we are talking about, I am not shocked that a lot of the Reorts just throw it in the "too hard" basket. Having said all that, the gate system in Niseko seems to work well, from my brief experience there. I hope they implement similar systems elsewhere, open up more controlled terrain, etc,etc. (But I ain't holding my breath......)

I think the original poster makes lots of valid points, most of which have been made many times before. Detailed feedback from customers is always a good thing and should be invited at every opportunity.

Happo has lost customers faster than any of the main resorts in the valley. I think the moguls there are part of the problem. They also represent the kind of old-fashioned approach which GoNative suggests is the deeper problem.

Originally Posted By: MikePow

Definitely.

Like lifts with covers for starters.

Yeah... until I went to Zermatt and saw the infrastructure there - where non skiers could ride all the way up and all the way down the mountain - meaning more people can access on mountain facilities and spend coin up there - in almost all weather conditions - I did not see the need for covered lifts. Way I saw it - you had snow gear on and it was all part of the experience to get snowed on and wind blown on the way up and the way down. My mind is changed now... covered lifts and accessible lifts (for non skiers) are good for business.