Looking to coming to Niseko for the first time in 2010 aswell!

Sorting out accomodation now but it's tough since there is a group of 10!

For those who have been to Niseko before, did you book your fights to Sapporo direct or with the agent? I'm looking at the domestic pages but flights haven't been released yet. I wanted a rought idea how mcuh flights would cost and how much I save if I booked directo or part as a package.

Also, how it like on NYE?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make that another... our first season in Niseko also (group of 6-12).

sorry to hijack.

any ideas on a good travel agent for Niseko? we're based in Nth QLD, so obviously not many choices up here smile happy to organise via phone/email.

also, since we're going over x-mas and NY, does anyone know if the slopes shut down at all during this time?

cheers,

Dusty

Originally Posted By: Dusty
also, since we're going over x-mas and NY, does anyone know if the slopes shut down at all during this time?

Dusty as Thurs points out shutting down over one of the busiest periods of the season would be complete madness. Not that the Japanese are beyond that sort of complete madness of course but you may not be aware that Japan is not a Christian country and xmas means virtually nothing here and there are no holidays to celebrate it.

Dusty I wouldnt worry about it.

If you have skied in Australia and known peak periods here - then Niseko will be like a quiet day for you. Yes - over New Year and weekends in janaury there are some queues, but nothing to get freaked about.

See ya there smile

Originally Posted By: Dusty
make that another... our first season in Niseko also (group of 6-12).

sorry to hijack.

any ideas on a good travel agent for Niseko? we're based in Nth QLD, so obviously not many choices up here smile happy to organise via phone/email.

cheers,
Dusty

Townsville....I know a guy frm there, Dave Boyd. Good Guy, never been there myself though......sorry not on topic at all
  • 4 weeks later...

OK - all booked smile groovy

Leaving Perth on 22nd Dec for Tokyo - nasty overnight Qantas flight - arrive Narita morning of 23rd Dec 09.

Yet to book hotel in Tokyo.

Shopping for new boards for growing boys in the shops near Ogawamachi - they will be thier Christmas present this year.

Then shopping for funky jeans and hoodies in Harajuku and surrounds.

Plan to have a cracker of a kobe beef teppenyaki dinner for Christmas evening meal - any suggestions of a great spot in Tokyo?

Then bright and early on the 26th of Dec we are flying from Haneda up to Sapporo Shin Chitose - next bus up to Hirafu Village. I reckon we will be having lunch in Hirafu, and after getting settled into accomodation/buying lift tix and the like we will be hitting the hill for nighta on Boxing Day. party

Papa and I will celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary on the 30th of Dec so we might have to have a few drinks at Wild Bills that night!!

We have 3 weeks in Niseko - heading home on the 16th of January.

clap

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
OK - all booked smile groovy

Leaving Perth on 22nd Dec for Tokyo - nasty overnight Qantas flight - arrive Narita morning of 23rd Dec 09.
Yet to book hotel in Tokyo.
Shopping for new boards for growing boys in the shops near Ogawamachi - they will be thier Christmas present this year.
Then shopping for funky jeans and hoodies in Harajuku and surrounds.
Plan to have a cracker of a kobe beef teppenyaki dinner for Christmas evening meal - any suggestions of a great spot in Tokyo?

Then bright and early on the 26th of Dec we are flying from Haneda up to Sapporo Shin Chitose - next bus up to Hirafu Village. I reckon we will be having lunch in Hirafu, and after getting settled into accomodation/buying lift tix and the like we will be hitting the hill for nighta on Boxing Day. party

Papa and I will celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary on the 30th of Dec so we might have to have a few drinks at Wild Bills that night!!

We have 3 weeks in Niseko - heading home on the 16th of January.
clap

That sounds like a really really good trip.
Teppanyaki...western style? with all the throwing and juggling or more traditional Japanese style?
The Hilton in Shinjuku used to be one of my favorites for teppanyaki (but cant remember if it was Kobe beef or not -me thinks not). You could even stay there and take the limousine bus direct to Haneda in the morning.
make sure you check the Xmas lights on Omotesando (close from Harajuku)

If its Christmas meal then you might wanna book early MB. Had a nightmare trying to tie up a Christmas dinner booking in Tokyo. Do a google and you should get LAST years restaurant menus and you can then contact them well in advance to make sure you have a place.

Is Ogawamachi near to Ochanomizu? Plenty of snow shops to choose from in Ochanomizu/Jimbochu area.

If I decide to hit Hokkaido instead of sunny climes for my 30th this Xmas then I may just be able to share a toast with you in Wild Bills!! smile

Thanks Stemik and Tubby.

Great info.

Yeah - we thought booking for Christmas Dinner might be difficult if we left it late to organise - which is why we are thinking about it now.

We had a fabulous teppenyaki at a little place about 10 minute walk from Shiba Park last trip, and it was not Euro-showy style, but it was certainly entertaining to watch the fellows skill ...certainly no food flying onto plates. But the food was simply amazing....described on the night as 'heaven in a chopstick'.

We were looking for a different hotel as we were not that keen to return to the Qantas option of Shiba Park Hotel s I will look into your suggestion Stemik - it will solve a few things at once (where to have Christmas Dinner, new hotel, new area to explore, easy access to Haneda with snowboard bags and suitcases) CHEERS! thumbsup

Yes Tubby - same area - Ogawamachi is the train stop on the other line. We went there last time and bought one of those little mini snowboards (the kids enjoy having a play with that ...especially in Oz on icier days) and a few other bits and pieces, but we were fairly kitted up at the time and disappointed that we didnt need to buy a heap of stuff!! We are gonna hold out now - little dude could do with a new jacket, new snowboards needed by a few of the kids (MY THEY GROW FAST) etc etc - so we will hopefully be a little mini stimulus package for the area when we get there...sorry Jindabyne, but we are not going to spend an awful lot with you now smile

Hope to be able to shout you a birthday beer then Tubby!!!

Been spending the day checking out places to eat, shop and stay in Tokyo...and so Papa's been playing what became the 'Theme song' from our last J-trip - brings a smile to my face every time.

It has been done before...but bears repeating...enjoy smile

Originally Posted By: thursday
The basement of the Hilton does Kobe beef. It's about 3man per head though.

yeah if i remember correctly there are few restaurants down there, including an Indian!
Though the Teppanyaki is upstairs.
There is/was a British style pub next to the lounge....actually it isn't/wasnt like a British pub at all.

The Teppenyaki we had last trip was a little place, difficult for tourist type gaijin to find (thank god for the offspring reading the Japanese Signage or we never wouldve found it!).

It was awesome, and as it only had seats for 8 people and we are a family of 6 we were the only ones in there. LOVED it. But if we are going to get a booking for Christmas Night the Hilton might be the only option from this far away... But I suppose I dont have to buy a turkey, ham, plum pudding, crackers, booze, shortbread, mince pies, and all the other fluff and pop that goes with hosting Christmas at home ... so even the Hilton prices might be OK for just one night.

Yeah... I read that.

Also read the LOVE HOTELS are busy that night as it is something similar to valentines day - a night for romancing the signifigant other...hee hee.

Ma' bear

There seems to be a few Teppanyaki places in Shiba. Roppongi and Azabu is nearby and there are Teppanyaki places there... I count at least 12 in a relatively small area in Roppongi.

Get your kid and google.co.jp and you will get a map. There is 3 along the street that goes diagonally at the main intersection at subway. More towards Aoyama 1 chome.