Originally Posted By: powwwers
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
city bars vs inaka bars are quite different. you cant compare where you live with the likes of Roppongi

What if I live in Roppongi?????? wink
Maybe I've missed something here, but I thought this post was about Niseko, which is pretty much 'inaka' in most peeps books.

I might go to facebook and start a group- "Say NO to bouncers in Snow Towns." lol

thats cuz youre a pothead focker!! wink

Lets face it, there is (generally speaking) less trouble in small towns/cities where there tends to be less people in bars. I only saw a bouncer or two in Hiroshima at the big clubs, and as somebody else pointed out it was because of the military. I went out in Umeda and Shinsaibashi recently and there was a bouncer or two walking around not because of military, but because of other clientele.

You have a bouncer when you expect trouble, or when there has been trouble in the past. If an establishment has 200 drunk idiots, and occasionally a fight breaks out, then youre going to need somebody to break it up.

Went out the other night in an 'inaka' bar with around 70 people in it and there was no bouncer. Depends on the clientele....

Fights arent common between Japanese in bars; the only fights I have seen were gaijin and chinpira.

I think your Facebook slogan should be "1 million people say NO to bouncers in snow towns"
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Bars in Tokyo have bouncers its usually the Gaijin hangouts, I remember Gas Panic having muscle bound ex navy guys on the doors, still didn't stop their former brethern from knocking lumps outta each other. I remember going to Gas Panic in Yokohama, leaving the bar for about half an hour and then came back, only to find ambulances there carting out 3 guys with blood streaming down their faces....Gas Panic...don't go there!!

What many of you are describing is what I already do. All the bars have my number and if there are problems they call. I also try and do the other stuff MikePow detailed as much as possible- january was underager central at some of the Japanese run bars ( where they have no idea what a 15 year old Aussie looks like). It would be cost prohibitive for most bars to have doorstaff so this way we cover the bases. I was the defacto town bouncer last season, this season i got paid to do it and could come from a position of semi-authority- meaning more negotiations, less fighting for me. That most of you that come here don`t know I exist, or at least have no idea that I am around is probably the best balance- walk softly and carry a big Canadian. : )

The incident in question, had I been working that night, would have ended very differently ( and been settled much sooner and peacefully)

Heres an idea - probably a stupid one but what about if you got rid of the bars in Niseko. Lets get rid of Paddy's and put Big Cliff back there.

If you want to get a pissed as a monkey do it but in your apartment.

Originally Posted By: bellavista
Big Cliff - sad day when that disappeared.

Even worse when the 100 Yen Noodle went west! Replaced with an appartment building, as I understand. Sad day!

Good story, sounds like most of my local joints that I used to hang out at when I was in my early 20's. Nothing like a good punch up now and again for some entertainment! LOL