I wasn't there (I wasn't at either of these places that night myself), but some of my mates were, and here is roughly how they saw some trouble brewing at both Paddy McGinty's Irish Pub & then Wild Bill's Pub in Niseko sometime Saturday night 21st Feb..

Apparently, a few local Aussies at a table in Paddy's had had a few, and one guy was verbally abusing quite a few patrons as they came through the front door, along the lines of: "Shut the F**kin door!"

Several others in the pub had noted his behaviour, including the bar staff who were watching him & his table pretty closely by now, and there were a few grumbles heard about him here and there, but everyone basically carried on drinking and ignoring him.

Then another group of 4 Aussie guys came in, looked like visitors, and the same local guy said to one of them the same: "Shut the F**kin door!â€

One of the new visitor Aussies replied back to him something like: "Settle down mate" and closed it, then took their own table and ordered drinks etc.

So the local guy continued to abuse a few others in similar ways, with others noting his behaviour etc., when one of the group of 4 visitor Aussies had apparently had enough, and took matters into his own hands.

The bar staff didn't seem to have done anything about it to this point, and my mates don't quite know what might have triggered this Aussie visitor to do this..

The newer guy went over to the local, grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, took him outside and shoved him into a large snowdrift nearby.

The 2 of them started scuffling a bit, but no punches were thrown, when the bar staff took action and ordered both groups out.

There was a bit of yelling and push and shove, but they all settled down and went their separate ways etc.

Then a bit later, at Wild Bill's several groups of patrons that were at Paddy's earlier had moved on to Wild Bill's, including the group of 4 newer visiting Aussies.

Everyone seemed pretty chilled, with a few whispers about the place, when suddenly the local drunk abuser Aussie from earlier turned up outside Wild Bill's, he had gathered several of his mates and one of them was brandishing a stick & tapping it on the window near the 4 visiting Aussies, pointing at them and daring them to come out, signalling that they were gonna jump on them when they did.

The Wild Bill's bar staff had seen the locals outside gathering, and barred them from entering, so they were milling about outside etc.

Apparently the group of 4 visiting Aussies chatted to the bar staff, saying that they didn't want any trouble, and was there a back door they could exit and head off away from it all.

The bar staff apparently replied that there wasn't, or there really wasn't, don't know.

In any case, the group of 4 visitor Aussies carried on drinking, with more and more others watching how it unfolded both inside and out of the place.

Then the 4 visitor Aussies finished their drinks, got up together and purposefully headed out the front door.

The biggest of the 4 Visitors leapt ahead, down the front steps/area, straight at the big local guy holding the stick - who promptly dropped the stick to the snow, a bit shocked that this guy had leapt outside and was coming at him.

The big visitor Aussie stepped one of his boots straight onto the stick on the snow, preventing the local big guy from reaching down and grabbing it again, and then the visitor unloaded a barrage of punches at the guy, landing lots of them and driving the big local guy in a semi circle.

They said it looked like a bit of a blur, and pretty much stunned everyone.

Then more of the local guys outside jumped into it, and a 2nd of the group of 4 visitor Aussies joined the melee as well, with at least 2 of the locals trying to get at him as this 2nd of the group of 4 was actually the guy who initially grabbed the local by the scruff of the neck earlier at Paddy’s, and the locals really wanted to get at him.

So by then there was only the 2 visitor Aussies, and 3 or 4 of the locals all rumbling about, some on the ground, some standing, but the 2 visitors seemed to go berserk and landed a heap of punches, all the while taking quite a few punches including to the back of their heads!

One of the local Aussie’s girlfriends also jumped in and was scratching the neck of one of the visitors.

There were shirts ripped, and a few bruises, but once the 2 visitors went berserk everyone got away from them – man they apparently landed a few good shots!

One of the other group of 4 visitor Aussies apparently was at the door to the pub and saw one of the locals with a glass mug in his hand and try to push past him, threatening to head into the fray with that – but the visitor grabbed him & put him into a headlock, holding him there.

And some others saw that as well and broke them up, and by then everyone was clearing out of the area of the 2 berserk Aussie visitors.

Everyone got up and walked away they said, so no-one was hurt too badly, though there would surely be some sore heads, hands & faces the next day!

They said they think all involved were then banned from both Paddy’s & Wild Bill’s, heh.

I’m only going on what my drunk mates were recollecting from what they saw.

Sounds like lots of excitement – wish I was there to see it in a way!

Anyone else see any of this?

Funfun!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irish bar + Tex-Mex cantina + drunk tourists = gong show, that's why I live in Kutchan and no longer go for beers in the village...BDL has a much nicer vibe anyway.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
**** get over it. Happens in every town in the world every drinking night.
Except in Hokkaido, even in the summer beer gardens when everyone is canned, that's why some of us like living here and going out for a few, because we don't have to deal with the crap.

I've been on the hill once before with a close buddy when he was verbally threatened by a very prominent non-Aussie SJ forum poster. Now THAT was lame, and totally uncalled for.

Have to agree with Blade, one of the great reasons for living here is that it's far far away from the gong show aggression found elsewhere... Glad the mellow times are back.

Not interested.

Originally Posted By: JaySee
I've been on the hill once before with a close buddy when he was verbally threatened by a very prominent non-Aussie SJ forum poster. Now THAT was lame, and totally uncalled for.

Name and shame!! stir

Were all the "locals" involved in the fight, gaij or were there some J-locals as well?

If you are referring to a Sunday morning in Annupuri, then it was unfortunate but totally called for. Three people in a 1,000 x 1,000 m2 area and I was still hit from above whilst stationary.

No apology was forthcoming immediately so a little forceful etiquette was deemed necessary by myself because quite fankly I can accept crap riding and I can accept apologies but not one without the other.

Locals? what makes them so? You mean long term visitors and short term visitors?

The Japanese law is that they can prosecute you without anyone making a complaint, even after the incident... and I am sure that there will be some very happy people to see some gaijins running a muk being deported.

Originally Posted By: MikePow
Seen nonesense amongst pissed Japanese drinkers in K-town.

Story out of all proportion. Lived here for three winters and never witnessed a fight. and I'm out fairly often wink

Agreed MP.
So what, a fisty cuff and some agro.
Whilst I don't like seeing agro it happens and don't see that it deserves the attention that you feel you need to give it.

By the sound of it, this local guy got what he deserved for being such a diack.

I have never been to Niseko, but my experience in Japan is one of so little 'threatening situations'. Can't remember once apart from some idiots making a scene in a bar in Hakuba the other year (and they were foreign). Compare it to London and it's quite shocking.

You guys don't get it..do you.

If you are a Japanese citizen, you can do what you like in you country and the people and police will tolerate it. Gaijins don't have that right. You have the privilege to stay.. so behave yourselves.

Jynxx are you being sarcastic? Or just pointing out the typical racist, xenophobic crap we have to endure whilst attempting to make a life in this country?