Hi,

Probably a bit early, but I am planning a trip for next January. Haven't really decided where too, but I have been leaning towards Furano. I have a few questions that may seem silly to some, but I'll ask anyway.

Is there generally someone who can speak even a little english at places like the restraunts and motels?

I have 2 boys aged 14 and 16 who will ski / board and a wife who does neither. Is there anything for a non skiing person to do in Furano?

Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John.

Plenty to do in Furano for the non-skier.

From Sciclone in another thread

Originally Posted By: Sciclone
I have to commend Furano on this front. My mum and sister don't ski/snowboard (just slack I guess), but they weren't bored once in Furano. Not only do you have the winery, cheese factory, Ningle Terrace (artisan/craft area) and other places around the ski area, if you go into town on the lavender bus, there are numerous cake shops, 100Y stores, and normal shopping to keep the ladies occupied.

When I'm at the snow I love just being on the snow, but usually require a day off to let the body recuperate. Its usually on this downtime day that I go to the arts places and stuff.

But yeah, a little too early.

We, on the other hand, managed to get very bored on our non-skiing day. I guess I'm not a lady, so those things aren't that enticing. Even tried our hand at Pachinko, but couldn't get into it.

I agree, a little early to book anything, but it's good to be researching so you find the best place for you. Lots of choice in Japan, and judging by the questions that get asked on these forums year-in, year-out, not an easy decision. Good luck.

Firstly, welcome and ask away - I have often used the expression "the dumbest question is the one you do not ask."

Secondly, Furano is a very pleasant place, not as "Aussified" as Niseko which, judging by some of the recent reports here and elsewhere is a VERY GOOD thing. The down-side of this is that there are fewer locals who speak good english. However, I suspect that will change in the nearish future if not already (I was there Jan 08).

Thirdly, there is an option to trade a day's Furano ticket for a bus trip and lift ticket at Kamui Ski Links. I heartily recommend this day trip.

Finally, If SJ doesn't mind, I'll post some links to a couple of live webcams from Furano in another post.