second warmest winter in eastern Japan since World War II

Operators of cold-weather tourist spots have suffered enormous financial losses from the second warmest winter in eastern Japan since World War II and the third warmest in northern parts of the country. full story here.

Its oficial: this season was pretty lame and it hurt the tourism industry.

Bit of a worry, a glitch in the usual pattern or a sign of things to come?

Yes Hokkaido seems to be pretty much as average, when I mentioned my prediction it was for mainland Japan, mainly kanto, chubu, joetsu regions as I stated at the time, because I am in these areas and can observe things in these areas. The weather patterns for hokkaido are different to this area. Also without visiting Hokkaido it would not be easy for me to give any predictions.

All I can say is that if what I think is happening actually does then roll on next winter, it will be an awesome one, maybe too much so! Unfortunately I won't know until around Sep / oct this year!

It certainly is interesting how Niseko has done "pretty well" while most places have done "crap". Places in Honshu seems to be "need to go high" whereas Niseko up there is in that low position.

Although Niseko has done fairly well comparatively we still have had a lot less snow than usual and Janurary had well above average temperatures. I think the milder temperatures have actually helped in producing the reasonable snowdepth. During colder winters the snow is often lighter and compacts a lot more, it also blows off the hill more easily when the winds get up.

Still this will be the 3rd winter in a row with snowfall totals in Kutchan being less than 10m, assuming we don't get well over a metre more this month(currently at 8.69m). This has never happened since records began in 1953. 04/05 had 14.1m and 05/06 had 12.03m, just hope next year brings another season like those.

For those that have been coming for only the last 2 seasons this season probably seems fairly good but I can tell you that you aint seen nothing yet!

Well looking like a bit of rain this Friday but I hope your met guys are right and another couple of big systems move through. In most of my years here we have often got a big fall around the middle of the month. Nothing better than mid March powder because there's hardly anyone left here meaning fresh tracks all day long!

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
He doesn't divulge his methods.....I think he checks the bunions of an obaaaaaasan that lives next door to him wink

Haha no actually it is all my own observations!
I would love to tell everyone how I predict the weather, but in case I continue to be correct which so far I have now for four years in a row, then I may eventually benefit financially from it, lol!

Going back to the weather, I don't think this is our last cold spell, maybe two more cold snaps and snow, before it warms up!

LOL! well that is true not exactly had many cold snaps this year, but how should I put it maybe two more cold enough snaps to produce some snow!

But like last year though Tokyo has been very cloudy and wet this winter, the weather patterns are definately changing. Up until about 4 years ago nearly every day in winter in Kanto area would be blue skys.

The past couple of years and this year in particular nearly every day cloudy, with very few blue sky days.