This is my first post here - greetings from an ex-ski bum (Kitzbuhel 5 years, Whistler 3yrs) dying to get out for the first time in a long time...

I am trying to find a place to take my wife and 2 kids and would love to hear recommendations for a place with reasonable skiing, an onsen/gym facility and 2 to 3 hours drive from Tokyo...

We plan to leave Sunday afternoon (March 20), ski Mon, Tues, Wed and then head back.

Is there a gaijin friendly place we can call to find out prices etc? We have called a few places but the packages have so many rules and are not flexible so its hard to find a good deal that suits what we want to do!

Is it possible?

Jef

cheap 2 or 3 hours from tokyo I think yuzawa but I know nothing about there. At this time of year and during the week a gaijin pension would be fine too.

Hakuba

snobeds would be comfrotable or private message to tellyboy and book and stay with him. he is above a bar but during the week no one will be there and the pool table is free.

Hey, Jef you made it... so you'll have the family after all... See if you can find somewhere with good terrain for you as well as easy stuff for the family. Maybe Hakuba's best? Anyone else?

when I threatened to go alone, I ended up with the whole family - which is fine with me!

When I said "cheap" in my original post, I didn't mean rooms with discarded needles and ODing JET setters...

What I would like is a few days of skiing at our own pace without J-Pop blaring from the lift towers and a place where I can get away without worrying about being fined for wearing toilet slippers in the dining room...

How's the J-pop at Happo? I can't remember now.... I guess it probably wasn't very noticeable up top, that's where we were the day I was there.

Mominoki looks nice, no idea of prices, though Fats usually gives good advice ;\)