A friend just sent this to me (not sure where it's from).

"The number of those who leave the scene of an accident is very high," Ebner said. "It is around 15-20%. I find it amazing."

Would you? Do they all know they've contributed to an accident?

Quote:
In the wake of a spate of ugly accidents in the Alps, skiing's darker side has been revealed with the disclosure that almost a fifth of skiers and snowboarders who are responsible for accidents on the slopes flee the scene without giving assistance.

The figures were revealed last week by the head of Austria's Alpine police, lieutenant colonel Hans Ebner. He was speaking in the midst of a season that has seen 29 fatalities on the country's slopes, as well as two serious accidents involving prominent politicians, leading Austrian lawmakers to demand that the wearing of a helmet becomes compulsory for anyone aged 14 years or less.

"The number of those who leave the scene of an accident is very high," Ebner said. "It is around 15-20%. I find it amazing."

It is not only Austria that has been plagued by the phenomenon of the "hit-and-run" skier. Incidents have been reported across Europe and in the US. In the Californian resort of Mammoth, leaving the scene of a skiing collision is regarded as a felony punishable by a hefty fine or up to six months in prison. Other US resorts have resorted in the past to paying rewards to those who identify fleeing hit-and-run skiers.

One of the most high-profile incidents this season occurred in Italy on Christmas Day when a 16-year-old schoolboy hit and caused the death of a 51-year-old father, Arthur Lantschner, as he was teaching his daughter to ski at Obereggen, near Bolzano in the Dolomites.

Lantschner died in hospital from massive head injuries. His death sparked a police hunt and considerable media attention that persuaded the boy - who cannot be named for legal reasons - to hand himself in two days later. The boy told police he had not stopped because he had seen others helping the victim. He said the first he knew of Lantschner's death was when he saw it on the television news.

But it is in Austria, in particular this year, that the issue of safety on the slopes has been propelled on to the political agenda. A Polish regional politician, Marek Nawara, suffered serious head injuries in a skiing accident in Austria. The incident followed a fatal accident involving the premier of the German state of Thuringia, Dieter Althaus, who collided with a woman, who died from multiple head injuries, on New Year's Day.

Very cold conditions have created much faster pistes, making collisions far more severe. The accidents led to calls for new laws to be introduced making it mandatory for all children under 15 to wear helmets, a law that has so far been passed only in the region of Lower Austria where there are relatively few resorts.

Ebner is not sure how effective any law will be. "Already 60-70% of skiers wear helmets. I don't know if it is necessary and I am not sure who the politicians think will enforce it." Last month, William Marsh, a 61-year-old from Massachusetts, was issued with a summons for allegedly leaving the scene of a skiing accident in Aspen after being accused of colliding with a skier.

The issue has become the subject of heated debate in ski chatrooms as crowded slopes and faster skis have led to accidents. There have been legislative attempts to improve safety but the introduction of speed cameras has led to complaints that the freedom of the mountains is becoming ever more regulated.

The collision involving the German premier happened at a Y junction, where both parties were on high speed. Tree lined so hard to see. Europe has long runs that is not too steep, and when it's not crowded it is easy (and tempting) to go fast. I think there is a recent trend in people are wearing helmets, " Precaution in others running into you"... with people who are experienced and never worn one before.. Wise move.

As to the hit and run. Very alarming. Self obsessed people on the rise.

Maybe ski schools have to teach "Defensive skiing" like in driving a car....

I was taught how to fall when I was rock climbing.. And I am not a small person. The thing I learn was the smaller the person the more it hurts. At Australian resorts I have people going into me and I had to stop or fall over to avoid some twit who sits out of the middle of a run. Next time I go I just have to invest in a helmet

I even had some chick run over my fingers with her skis as I was getting up once.

But in answer to your question. I stay

Not good not to stop! angry

I not only stop if I am involved in an accident (which is not often) but I also stop if there is an accident near me, one I go past, or if I see a nasty fall where I think it is worth checking on the skier/boarder. I am surprised by how many people have no idea what to do...

Most times - "Nah, I am alright, thanks anyway" is the response, but it can only help snowboarder skier relations when a snowboarder stops - collects a wayward ski pole - and takes it back to the fallen skier and asks after thier wellbeing.

Just doin' my bit for the cause. wink

MB nothing can really be done to help skier/boarder relations. It's a little like the Jews and Arabs, however well intentioned some may be there's just too many extremists on both sides who'd rather die than see a lasting peace razz

I hope it will change GN. I see lots of 3 yo skiing in Tirol. Then they start snowboarding when they reach 6~9 ... Will be good if everyone has done both.

Yeah, it all started with Abraham, whether you are in the Jesus cult or Mohhamed's ...

How the hell he got convinced that a good god can command one to sacrifice his own son is a mystery. I would consider it evil and tell him to pick someone his own size.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
MB nothing can really be done to help skier/boarder relations. It's a little like the Jews and Arabs, however well intentioned some may be there's just too many extremists on both sides who'd rather die than see a lasting peace razz

Funny!
One can dream about peace harmony and good will though.... can't one?

Shame!

It seems a lot of people only stop if the person they hit is screaming, bleeding profusely and alone... I just don't get that.

Was discussing this thread with friends this morning. He - a skier turned snowboarder been riding all over the world for that past 25 odd years - was hit by a cowboy speedster at Niseko coming in hot to the lifts a year ago January. At the time it hurt, but his response was to tell the guy what he thought of him - with a response of a blank look, the finger and onto the lifts and away. However even today his shoulder is shot from that incident - plenty of physio and drugs and it is still not right.

People need to take a bit more responsibility and care when they wipe someone out. Accidents happen - as we know - we had a disaster last weekend on the boat with the wake tower collapsing onto a couple of kids we brought with us - injuring one boys hand quite badly - will heal, but not nice, other one got a sore shoulder - we had to return damaged kids to our friends - not good! But you don't run away from accidents - you fess up and make ammends as best as possible - even if it costs you dearly.

This annoys me why people do this, how I see it the same as a hit and run driver.

If you hit someone, no matter how minor you stop! I have been lucky so far and not really hit anyone, just kind of touched skis going down the slope, but never the less I stopped and made sure that the person was fine, even though he didn't even fall!

I don't know whether this is becoming more of a common practice to do hit and runs or just that reports are coming in more than before, but what ever not a good situation.

Yeah, whatever happened to the "Alpine Responsibility Code"?

You know, the bit where it says you must be 'in control' at all times.

yeah it's amazing how many don't seem to realise that it's the people below/in front of you that have priority.

Having said that, another annoying thing is when people decide to stop for a break or picnic in the middle of the slope! I understand people need a break, but to just sit in the middle of the slope and expect people to go around them, well.....

If I want a break while on the slope or wish to take a photo I always make sure that I go to the edge and where I am out of the way of other skiers / borders!

Quote:
another annoying thing is when people decide to stop for a break or picnic in the middle of the slope!

And when they do it SUDDENLY.

The thing annoys me most is people sitting down on the snow just off the lift making it almost impossible to get past. Drives me nuts.

Although if they fall .... it is usually suddenly AND midpiste.

Which is why you need to be keeping an eye on the people around and below you. If you give people a wide enough berth and are constantly assessing what is going on around you it is not THAT hard to avoid a collision occuring involving you from the down hill side. A lot less easy to stop a collision involving yourself from the rear....

There are some people you can just see from a few seconds of watching thier form who will be unpredictable, likely to fall on thier own or likely to get seriously spooked if you buzz past them too close -resulting in a fall. It always amazes me how fine some people cut it whizzing past kids and n00bs - leaving fear and distress in thier wake.

What does that achieve? Accept affirming they are a$$holes....

Im a NooB 'boarder and therefore take it pretty easy and slowly on the slopes..Work on my technique rather than speed..

Anyway about a month ago i was boarding at Takasu,Gifu.. Just doing my thing and some a**hole boarder buzzed me and actually clipped my arm and caused me to fall. I wasnt going very fast but landed awkwardly on my left arm and hyper extended my elbow..

I yelled @@@k ,, as it bloody hurt

I couldnt move my arm and actually felt faint thinking my arm was broken or dislocated.. Luckily it was neither

The other boarder did look back,, but of course didnt stop.

A young kid on skis stopped and asked me "daijyobu ?"

I had to walk down maybe 1500meters to the bottom

I havent been boarding for the past 4 weekends,, as my elbow is still very painful.

This happened to me a few weeks back at Kandatsu - some stupid b**ch came down behind me and took out my back bindings - smashed them clean in half! But it sent her flying - felt guilty as I thought it was my fault - then some patrol guy started berating her for her behaviour. THEN took her lift pass biggrin biggrin biggrin .