Thinking about working at a resort this season. I wonder what the best way to do that would be. A friend told me working the lifts would suck as they don't allow you enough free time to shred. Every resort is different so anyone have any ideas, suggestions to get me on my way?

Just want to ride.

i worked the lifts and it was the best job for sking. My job was to ski around and give people breaks. Got at least 11 runs a day sking where I wanted to ski. It depends on the place.

snowmaking or grooming will give you the best chances to ski but your sleep schedule will become unbalanced. PS by oct most ski resorts will be finished their hiring. bar staff is a good way to make money.

snowboard freak meet a lifty when we were in perisher and he said that he gets a good 2 hours of riding a day when he is working an gets 2 days off if not 3 days off a week as well so he seemed to be cheering!

better than house cleaning or something where ur not even on the mtn!!

I was a house cleaner/ waiter in France for 5 months, got 1 day off a week!! But usually ended up visiting other resorts on those days, Chamonix etc.

The best thing was that I got 5 hours a day to got baording.....hard work, little sleep and a lot of drinking involved, but i loved every minute!

There ain't no reason you can't do it in Europe. My manager was an Aussie, so were a few chefs....dead easy to get a job if you can cook.

In fact I've been looking into doing the same in Aus, but ain't got a clue which resort is best.

if you can swing it try patrolling. your always on the hill (which can be good AND bad), your doing as many laps as you can, you see the sun rise and set on the mountain, AND you get to throw bombs!!! i pretty much had the best runs of my life when i was patrolling. freshies takes on a whole new meaning.

also, 6 packs are common tips.

Thanks for the words of wisdom!

Don't think I have the qualifications to 'patrol'. Fattwins, you made good money in a bar?! Japanese don't tip, does that mean you were selling something else other than beer? eek.gif Also, do you need a licence to groom or is that just on the job training. BTW, you sounded as though you were at a good resort, which one was it? Think I'd be looking at a Honshu resort.

i was talking about n. america jobs.

I worked at kawaba in japan. good money better than back home. 750 yen an hour but no matter what you did you got paid for the day. a ski instrutor in canada will only get paid if they teach so they only get an average of 4 hours a day. injapan you get paid by the day either way.

if you have no skills then youll be in the rental shop or lifts from there you need to go on cat rides (grooming machine) to learn. same for snowmaking make an effort and get trained for free.

• 2 weeks later...