Which resort has the longest season in Japan?

I did a search on the forums but couldn't find any threads on this topic.

I'd like to know, which ski resorts in Japan keep their lifts running for longest - ie where are the best places for spring skiing?

I've heard tell of somewhere in north Honshu that doesn't even open its lifts until spring - because it gets so much snow! - anyone know if this is true?

cheers

This is just what I know...

Around our area (Niigata), some places often open until Golden Week (Kagura). This year though, thats a big ??? because of the relatively low levels of snow. I think they'll be struggling.

There are other places that go until then in Hakuba and Shiga Kogen I believe in Nagano. And doesn't Niseko open until then?

Other than that, I believe there is a 'resort' in Yamagata called Gassan which usually opens until July. It's just a few lifts though nothing big as far as I know.

Yes there is a resort somewhere in Ishikawa I think that opens from July, beacause they get something like 20 metres or more of snow per season so everything is blocked off until around July! I think the season is something like from July to October!

I found some info about it somewhere but forget where! They do tourist trips to this area, which start in July, because only by then has enough snow melted to allow the roads to be cleared, and there are still 18 metre high walls each side of the road in July!

Originally Posted By: snowdude
Yes there is a resort somewhere in Ishikawa I think that opens from July, beacause they get something like 20 metres or more of snow per season so everything is blocked off until around July! I think the season is something like from July to October!

I found some info about it somewhere but forget where! They do tourist trips to this area, which start in July, because only by then has enough snow melted to allow the roads to be cleared, and there are still 18 metre high walls each side of the road in July!

Sounds like the Tateyama Alpen Route which isn't a resort, but rather a series of buses, cable cars, ropeways, etc. which allows you to cross the Northern Alps from Toyama to Nagano (or vice versa). The route opens from late April until the end of November, and as for skiing it is all backcounty (although there is one area that they set up T-bar that gets some use - but not much).

Sorry like I said not sure, but thought it was Ishikawa, but come to mention it Hotaka Scott maybe right, it could be the Tateyama Alpine route, if I can find the details I'll post them here, but it is for real, I am not making it up. It is even advertised in holiday brochures.

Ok found it, it's not Ishikawa, it is the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route as Hotaka Scott mentioned!

I am sure in the brochure I saw that this area has a ski season that starts in July, but can't find it on this page!

Anyway this route is opened from the end of April each year due to the amount of snow!

The area around the road is "flatish" (not sure if that's really a word), but of course being Tateyama the mountains are quite close to the road. Kind of hard to explain actually. There aren't banks per se, just a guard rail that appears once summer rolls around. Having trouble finding a decent picture of the route in summer/fall, but the one below might give you some idea. That particular area isn't where the deep snow is though, but a little lower down.

tateyama.jpg

And one more of Yuki no Ootani for good measure.

tateyama2.jpg

Gassan is also usually open until late July, though calling it a resort is pushing the meaning I think! I doubt this year it will be open that long due to less snow.

I have never been the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route but I hope to one day.