Selling ski lift tickets and buying them (legality & morality of...)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Ryoma, Gurgle, i was being facetious in my comments (especially about the sniper rifles!!)

However, how many people here have gone to a ticket window and stopped beforehand to read the fine print to establish that the tickets are non-transferrable? i suspect that most don't.

i'm just caught on the fence between supporting and underwriting the resort's income to ensure it can continue vs the individual punters getting value for money, and more importantly not losing value, especially if they have paid, but cant use the ticket.

if the resorts are so concerned they should introduce a mechanism that makes it difficult for people to transfer, for example replace the ticket with a date stamped tattoo that is burned into you forehead. lol

A more realistic, feasible solution would be (for the electronic tickets/tags) - make the refundable deposit more expensive than the cost of a half day ticket. that way I can guarantee i will return the tag to the machine for my refund as new users would rather buy a half day ticket

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with on selling a unused portion of your day ticket on the very rare occasion that it would happen to any of us, it's not as though there are bunches of scalpers hanging around the ticket return machines asking everyone if they have unused tickets left and then sprooking to the public they have tickets for sale and profiting from the scam. So a once off?? - no problems , profeesional scalper?? lock them up!!

what if you and your mate bought half each, one person to ride in the morning and one in the afternoon? Albeit no one is gonna do this but its still 2 people riding for the price of one.

I don't see anything wrong with it, its touts I don't like, those who try and sell tix (concert tix etc) at a profit. selling the end share of your ticket, well that just makes sense.

Those on high horses...the exit is over there

I had a difficulty with the "consecutive days" tickets sold at many resorts. Contrast that with the 6 day ticket at Nozawa, where the days are any 6 days, no limit (as far as I could determine) as to how long between uses. Ryoma may be able to correct me if I am mistaken, but I did not have to pay for the day I spent flat on my back in bed with a stomach bug. I just used the "ticket" for an additional day. The lift gates read the chip, and tell you on the display how many days are remaining on the ticket. Brilliant system, should be at EVERY SINGLE RESORT in the world.

I'm with Ryoma on this one....

I know for some saving a penny is so important their life practically revolve around that, there are many books written about how to make money and not so on spending it.

First, in Japan there is a culture when you are a young student people support you...ie: if you go to work your sempai or someone older will invite you for lunch.

Buying a ticket with your mate and one uses for the morning and the other for afternoon is acceptable when you are a student.

Two. It is not commendable to be stingy in Japan. Money is spent like a social lubricant.

Three. You are a gaijin and if you are lucky enough to stick out (being white) you get special treatment. You are a dignitary.. a private diplomat. This social awareness is lacking everywhere and it creates a bad name for any ethnic groups in a foreign country.

You repay for that courtesy, and you have enough money to go there, you pay for the service.

TB if you sell your lift ticket, you have made a profit. you had some free runs

I somtimes used to buy a ticket from a Japanese person who were coming off the slopes at some of the bigger resorts at midday - if I was just going up for an afternoon.

I know that tickets are supposed to be non-transferable - but in terms of lift use - the net effect is the same. ie two people using the lifts for a half day each - rather than one person using them for a full day.

Also - resorts don't tend to offer tickets for mornings only (no way to enforce it) so I don't feel this practice is morally wrong.

However - I never ever sell my tickets as I keep them all as souvenirs!

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

Two. It is not commendable to be stingy in Japan. Money is spent like a social lubricant.

Jynxx, the Bubble ended more than 15 years ago! I often see Japanese sleeping in cars, eating cup noodles at lunch time using old gear....times have changed since youve been away.

BTW - At Happo One - there are sometimes police about who are looking for people who try to sell their lift passes. Will try to post a pic on this.

Message understood....

but I't not ashamed to eat cup noodles or homemade obento. Old gear? I have a 198 cm '81 Kazama airflow comp amongst others and old Lang, Hansen, Scott boots ... nothing wrong with that. Old school don't need big side curves on the ski and anything wide over 70 is unnecessary luxury for pow. smile

As for sleeping in cars, me and my girlfriend lived in a top of the line Ford for a few months in Oz and had lots of fun. When you are 5'8" it's pretty comfty..

I don't know, mate.. It's a bit like Kiseru (traditional smoking pipe with the bowl and tip made of metal and bamboo in between) for rail travel, when one pays money (metal) at the departure point and arrival point and cheats in between...

The lift ticket system works on trust... Do we really want our lives enforced by law enforcement officers?

I have had one or two "free" tickets in my time here - but legit ones given to me by friends who work at resorts as well as indeed SJ (won a few).

Whether it's one of those or a ticket I have paid for, not that I usually leave with half a day on a ticket, but I wouldn't consider trying to fob one off on someone else and taking some money. Rather quaintly I really want the resorts to prosper.

Originally Posted By: gurgle
It is illegal, so it depends on your view about breaking the law or stealing things. I would not steal something, but I may drive over the speed limit. I would put this topic in the "stealing" category though, so I won't buy or sell used lift tickets. It's kind of like like insurance cheats, in the end it just means more expensive tickets for everyone else. Someone has to pay for the lifts to operate.

Well said.

Along the same lines - what do you feel about giving away parking tickets? eg - in many car parks in the UK, you might have to buy a ticket for say 3 hours, even if you only want to park for 30 mins.

It's quite common for people who still have some time left on their ticket to give them away to other drivers. (although they are clamping down on this by making you enter your reg. number now).

However - the principal is the same - you've paid for 3 hours of parking, but have only used 30 minutes. Therefore, why shouldn't you pass your slot on to someone who can use it.

I think it's exactly the same with lift tickets. You're paying for use of the lifts for a whole day - but if you don't use it for a whole day, why shouldn't someone else be able to pick up where you left off?

There's been lots of times where I've paid for a full day of skiing, but only parts of the mountain have been open, or some of the lifts close half way through the day - and I've never been given a refund - so I don't think that making use of a pass that was going to waste is any great crime.

Quote:
However - the principal is the same - you've paid for 3 hours of parking, but have only used 30 minutes. Therefore, why shouldn't you pass your slot on to someone who can use it.

Because it is illegal re: the terms of you making the purchase in the first place.
Quote:
I think it's exactly the same with lift tickets. You're paying for use of the lifts for a whole day - but if you don't use it for a whole day, why shouldn't someone else be able to pick up where you left off?

Because it is illegal re: the terms of you making the purchase in the first place.

Someone (Japanese) came up to me once when I was leaving a resort at 1:30 - wasn't feeling too well - asking to buy my ticket from me. I pointed them in the direction of the ticket box at the resort.

Originally Posted By: thursday
People just have to grasp the fact that resorts are hanging on for their lives. Do the right thing.

Many people are not interested in that unfortunately. It's all self - get away with anything you can. Like stealing music as if it's their right to get their hands on it for free. Just because they can.
Originally Posted By: thursday
People just have to grasp the fact that resorts are hanging on for their lives. Do the right thing.

Exactly. And the people relying on the resorts as a source of income (ie lifties, patrol, restaurant staff, etc) are also just regular folk trying to get by, living on a modest income.
Originally Posted By: Jynxx

TB if you sell your lift ticket, you have made a profit. you had some free runs

how do you work that out? I'd have paid for a full day of runs but for whatever reason I don't complete the full day so I sell my ticket for a fraction, kinda like pro-rata. I've paid for the runs I've had and I get the "unused runs back". No profit there my friend.

I haven't done it, mainly because I always ride for a day, but I would have no probs with people who do it. I'll take free music, watch free movies and still sleep easy at night

Legality and morality are two very different things. Yes it's illegal - but I would be very suprised if anyone commenting can claim to have never broken the law.

But morally wrong - I don't agree.

As that ticket cannot be refunded - I don't see why it's morally wrong for that time to be shared between two people. Just because it's illegal doesn't mean it's morally wrong.

It's not about 'getting away with what ever you can' - we're not talking about lift pass drops (which allows multiple people to go skiing on one pass).

A full day's use of the ski lifts has been paid for - and a full days use is being redeemed.