• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also been following this topic from the start and met him myself a few times. My heart goes out to his family and all his travelling companions, such a sad way to end such a wonderful holiday. I do not know his family but I do know a couple of the young men that were with him and some of his friends here. They are grieving for their missing friend so I will keep checking this site for updates as I don't want to add to their grief by asking too many questions. Thank you for the chance to say what's on my mind, as a parent I also wait for some news on closure.

Originally Posted By: 2pints,mate
Must also be very frustrating for family etc just not really being able to do anything. Are they out there every day?

sadface

Yea, sad, sad thing :(

During our stay in Niseko for 11 nights starting the night he was last seen, we saw some kind of search & rescue activity around the Hirafu area every day I think. Some days there was LOTs of activity.
  • 2 weeks later...

Has there been any more news on Scott? I noticed this site hasn't been used for a while. I went to his memorial last week but it wasn't the time/place to ask. I still think of him every day and wonder - he meant a lot to many people.

When I was up there on the 8th and 9th this month, the posters were still up. When I asked the lifties and some other locals, they said that there had been no new developments.

At this point in time, I think the outcome can only be the most dreaded one unfortunately, but I hope his family can find some closure sooner rather than later.

There's still some ongoing light overnight snowfall here on Southwest Hokkaido, believe it or not, even though winter is essentially over. I still find it difficult to imagine that someone can just up and disappear from the centre of a well-populated town and leave no trace.

there has been nothing yet, I`m afraid. The snow had melted considerably- below the night he got lost for sure- but still nothing. It has sinced snowed again but will probably warm up next week- when the snow cover has receded enough a full scale search will take place covering a much wider area.

there was rumour floating around that he had been found behind Niseko Pizza but it was untrue.

Quote:
The snow had melted considerably- below the night he got lost for sure- but still nothing.

Curious.
Are his family still over there? It must be so frustrating/heartbreaking/many other emotions.

No not yet, nothing found. There are a few rumoured stories and ideas as to 'what happened' going round but perhaps out of respect to his family etc it is best not to air those.

Probably not ever, until the actual facts are available. Then, I guess the only thing worthy of discussion will be ways (or a way? or THE way??) to avoid any repeats - and NOT just at Niseko, but at all snow destinations around the globe!

True GN,

But if a person is made aware of the dangers and possible ways to avoid them then they can BE responsible for themselves. It is when people with NFI do stuff believing they are safe that big trouble occurs.

Editted to add: I am referring only to the last couple of comments here - not about our missing snowlover. If we can learn from whatever happeened to him - worthwhile sharing information. if we can not - then privacy for the family is a good thing. I am sure the family would be willing to share details of the situation if they thought it would stop someone else going through the same pain they have. I know I would.