Hey Ben,

I'm Jeremy - Scotty and I were best friends through high school... Obviously, this is hitting everyone hard. Wish I could be there to help. I feel useless sitting here waiting for news. Don't know what else to say. I hope Hugh is holding up OK.

Keep us posted.

Trosty

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a resident of Niseko and have been for the last 3 years, and after many of my co-workers helped with the search on Saturday morning, I did not see a missing persons poster until yesterday afternoon and was shocked to see Scotties smiling face looking back at me.

I had the pleasure of getting to know Scottie while I was doing a season at Mt Buller in 2006. He is truly one of the good guys.

If there is ANYTHING i can do to assist, you ben and your friends, Scotties father, the police, PLEASE let me know. I will stop by the information centre today and see if I can help, but please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything at all.

My thoughts are with you.

This is a really sad thing to have happen, but hard to understand too. Walking out of a well heated pub into the cold air is like a slap in the face - it tends to wake you up pretty quickly.

Can somebody explain where he was walking to and what sort of things are being done to find him? The area just isn't that large and a lot of open area is used to dump cleared snow and is quite solid, so its' not as if there are fields of waste deep powder he would have had to wade through? Although there is the odd creek. Unless he went completely off in the totally wrong direction it is hard to understand how anybody could get so lost and more importantly, stay lost.

I think at this time, frustratingly noone will be able to answer those questions. 'm really thinking of this guy and his friends and family, it must be such a horrible thing to go through.

There is an article on this thismorning in yahoo news.

best of luck with the search

what a tragic story to read. You sometimes (sadly) hear about people getting lost on slopes/in the SC/BC, but not after a night of drinking. Like 99% of people I cant help, but hope that you find your mate safely. Quite surprising it hasnt made the news (nationally). Has it made it locally up in Hokkaido? Are the police using dogs to help track him? If thats even a possibility?

+++vibes+++

Hey Ben,

Di Spencer (Jills mate) here. I seem to be too far away to help, but if I can do anything, please send me an email.

I hope you guys are holding up ok. Fingers crossed Scotty comes bounding out of hiding with one incredible story!

Thinking of you all over there.

Di

Supposedly there's only a few dogs in the whole of Japan that are trained for this sort of search and none are available. It's very doubtful we'll see any happy ending to this story infortunately. I really feel for the family, a truly horrific situation for them.

Originally Posted By: 69
Question is, what on earth has happened here?

Hard to tell 69 because we seem to be a bit light on for details here. It would make more sense if we understood where his accm is in relation to wild bill's and whether he was familiar with the area or whether there is a possibility he was heading off to find some other bar/party etc. Hirafu just isn't that big. It beggers beleif that a bunch of volenteers can't line up shoulder to shoulder and conduct a couple of sweeps along the likely route he would have taken. A morning's effort would cover a large area. maybe that is being done, we wouldn't know...
Quote:
SNIFFER dogs will be brought into an intensified search for a Brisbane man missing since Friday in the Japanese ski resort of Niseko.

Scott McKay, 27, was last seen leaving Wild Bill's bar alone at 1.30am on Friday.
His accommodation was just a 10 to 15 minute walk away but Mr McKay failed to arrive.

His father and uncle arrived in Niseko late Sunday night and police have upgraded search efforts despite heavy snow and strong winds.

A helicopter has been seen circling and hovering low over the village on Japan's northern- most island of Hokkaido and police are coordinating their own searches with residents.

Sniffer dogs are expected to be brought into the search from outside Hokkaido.

Mr McKay was staying with ten friends at Pension Fuu and they have circulated posters featuring his image, throughout the village.

While it is not uncommon for people to fall asleep in the snow after leaving local bars in Niseko, no fatalities have been recorded.

Snow website forums have been filled with messages of hope for Mr McKay's family and also expressed concern about his disappearance.

``This is a really sad thing to have happen, but hard to understand too. Walking out of a well heated pub into the cold air is like a slap in the face - it tends to wake you up pretty quickly,'' read one comment.

From news.com.au complete with that link to this here thread and comments above from, I believe, The Gimp himself!

His accommodation was down near Gentem restaurant which is a bit out of Hirafu village towards Niseko. It would be a good 15-20min or so walk from Wild Bills. There are numerous routes that could have been taken and there have been many volunteers assisting authorities in the search and they have been covering all likely routes and beyond. Since he went missing there has been a lot of snow and a lot of snow moved around during normal snow clearing operations. If he is submerged under snow it will not be easy to find him.

GN, Hokkaidough,

Thanks guys. A bit of detail makes all the difference. I wish my first quote published in the international media occurred under better circumstances. I arrive in Niseko tomorrow, this def takes the gloss off.

And so apparently people passing out in the snow isn't that uncommon! Amazing that no one else has died.

Seems strange that people would fall asleep like you say Gimp...Even if I am nauseaus and wobbly on my feet a quick slap from the cold and I am all good...

I wonder about the creek behind Wild Bills - We spent a LOT of time at Wild Bill's with the kids playing pool all three trips and often the track over the creek (heading back up towards the Gondola) was a bit on the slippery side and quite sloped - I often was concerned that we would end up in the water if we slipped. I hope someone has looked at places like that....

While everyone wants a fabulous outcome - after all this time I would imagine the chances are fading for that. But by gosh the family (and friends) need to have some answers - it is torturous not knowing.

A call has gone out this afternoon to all companies and those living in the area to meet at 0900 at the koban next to Seicomart for a big search. I'll certainly be there as I'm sure will many others. I encourage anyone else if you have the time to come along as well and hopefully we can find this poor guy.