Actually, I am unllikely to get into the sort of situation - bit of a BOF - have dinner, watch a movie on the iPod and hit the sack - after a day's skiing.

I was concerned that the lessons to be learned from this (and the second, similar) incident be made widely known. I'd really rather we didn't have this discussion next year/the year after.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respectful & innocent discussion about such things is fine.

Let's hope all concerned can get some definite closure on this soon, preferrably with some miracle involved.

Originally Posted By: JA
Probably not ever, until the actual facts are available. Then, I guess the only thing worthy of discussion will be ways (or a way? or THE way??) to avoid any repeats - and NOT just at Niseko, but at all snow destinations around the globe!

I think thursday's "yet" was a "nothing found yet" and not a "rumors haven't been aired yet"...
confused

to update-

snowpack is still quite high here , even in the village.

No major searches until the full thaw- at this rate- I`d say beginning of May.

I am no longer at the Safety Centre, but will update as I can- I still live next door to the police dorm and see them all quite regularly, so will ask.

Hey guys, update here, I found a river, I think he either must have fallen into that, but the divers were searching for him too, I'm pretty sure the divers went there first thing, but am not 100% sure.

I think by summer, Scotts gonna appear, he must be under some pile of snow, I'm pretty sure, because there are still blocks of snow that are taller than the bar (Wild Billys)

Btw the snow is starting to melt now, I'm staying in Niseko at the moment, some of the slopes have been closed, today there was just maybe 2 cm of snow, high up in the mountains, and that was it.

Man, I feel sorry for this guy, his family and friends, really sad, I hope when the snow clears up he appears

Will

Will that's hardly a river behind Wild Bills, a small creek describes it at best. Sure it's up a bit now with the snow melt but in winter it is mostly covered with snow and barely runs at all. The divers were not there but down in the river at the bottom of the village.

Anyway another month and most of the snow at village level will have gone so we'll probably have another search around then if he's not already found.

Looks like there will be another search for those who would like to help:

Volunteers for search for Scott McKay

A new search for Scott McKay will be held on 16 & 17 April. The Kutchan Tourism Association has asked for as many volunteers as possible.

If you have the time, please come along.

Date : 16 and 17 April

Time : 10:00am – 12.00pm

Meet at : The Hirafu Safety Center at 9:50 AM

Just to let those following this thread know, Scott's body has been found.

He was found past the lodge he was staying in; but no further details. Thanks to all those that have been offering their support - including those that were going to go searching tomorrow. This news still comes as a shock, as much as it was expected. Scott was a great mate to many and he will be very sorely missed.

Yes, closure is good.

Quote:
The body of Australian Scott Mackay has been found almost two months after the Aussie tourist went missing at a Japanese ski resort.

The 27-year-old Brisbane man disappeared after walking home in sub-zero temperatures after a night out with friends at the Niseko Resort.

Japanese tourism officials say his body was found yesterday near the lodge where he had been staying.

According to Hokkaido News

15th 5:45 PM. A body was found floating in a part of Osawa river by residents nearby.

From the description of the cloth worn, it is likely to be the missing Australian Scott Mackay. Police trying to confirm identity. No obvious external injury. Assumed falling into river.

He was found 1 km from the venue where he was drinking.

That is sad news.

RIP

Sympathies as well - I hope the family find some peace and that also the authorities, although they sound like they did a good job, stop this from happening again.

Was just talking about this yesterday afternoon!

Glad they found you Scott, rest peacefully.

A sad result however expected. I take my hat off to all the people who volunteered to search for Scott be it once or over and over.