Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap/reliable means of shipping my snowboard and kit back to the UK from Japan? Japan Post will take it (my board is under 150cm) but won`t insure...

Alternatively, I`d be interested to hear of any companies which offer insurance for shipped items.

Thanks!

I'm looking to send my snowboard bag to NZ but having the same problems as yourself. Apparently a company called emery worldwide can do it but I cant find the right contact details for the department... Let me know if you find anything...!

ok heres what I've found -

Kuroneko, Sagawa, Niitsu (pelican). Most seem to have a limit of 160cm so unfortunatley useless for me. You could try using TNT or another air freight service. I'm going to NZ and its looking like costing me $700 NZ dollars thats a door to door service with luggagefree.com. THe other alternatie for me is to leave my bag at both heathrow and bangkok airports for a otal of aout 2 months which I'm not that keen to do....

AndyB, call up the kuroneko guy and have him swing by to measure the bag you are sending. I know this sounds redundant if your bag is bigger but I sent my stuff from Shizuoka to Niseko in Dec/Jan and was sure that my stuff would break the 160cm mark (my bag alone is 165cm in length). There was no problems at all and no extra charge. Of course, things will be different for international deliveries but it's worth a try anyway as the dude will come to your place and do the measurements for free...

Anyway, isn't $700NZ like Y2000 by now? rollabout

BTW, you had much of a chance to ride that fish of yours? I was able to use mine almost everytime I was out this season! smile

Got a fair few rides out of my new Fish too. Just had to pick my days carefully and have a bit of luck, both of which I did.

Except when I went to Niseko and it rained...

About board shipping, I ship a 159 and a 156 around together in a 165cm bag and kuroneko never bat an eyelid.

haha I wish it was 2000, more like 20,000!!

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out for sure.

Probably had about 10 days on my fish this season, mostly around xmas/new years! Hoping to get on it again before I leave Japan. Crazy how many fishes you see around niseko along with all the other crazy powder boards!

Have you seen this years fish with the swallow tail & rocker? I'd love to ride one but I really dont wanna have to buy new bindings too.... booo for burtons proprietary systems

ps how do you know I ride a fish?

Originally Posted By: AndyB

Have you seen this years fish with the swallow tail & rocker? I'd love to ride one but I really dont wanna have to buy new bindings too.... booo for burtons proprietary systems

You don't need to buy new bindings (if you have burton bindings). They come with plates that work with non-est burton bindings.
I ride that new fish and it is insane! The swallowtail doesn't do much, but the rocker is amazing. It's great on-piste too

as for all the guys chiming in with 'I sent my boards with kuroneko no problem', this thread is about international shipping, which has the 160cm total dimensions restriction.

Andy, thinking about a mid march trip as it looks like the season here isn't going to offer too much in the way of good snow from here on out.

Kumapix, the point that both xilr8 and I were trying to get across is that there is a 160cm restriction for domestic shipping (as well as international shipping), which seems to be a guideline and not a rule as we both got away with shipping more. That's why I encouraged AB to give them a call and see what he can work out! No harm in trying, right?

I've left my board in Bangkok airport for the last 7 weeks, it's still there, i get my hotel to check for me, and it'll still be there for another 2 weeks.

I wouldn't have a problem leaving it there.

Luckily in a funny kind of way, they lost my snowboard bag in Singapore, found it, shipped it to Bangkok and are keeping it there free of charge for me, otherwise it would cost 50baht for every 24 hrs, which isn't too bad.

Kumapix, have you contributed anything to this thread? Nah, didn't think so. Where is all this negativity coming from? I was just posting here to help out a mate.

BTW, you are dead wrong about no restrictions for domestic takkyubin. Here is the link for domestic service in English and in Japanese (you'll have to type in the locations to get this one to work). Please notice that it clearly states 3 sides totalling 160cms.

For International delivery in Japanese and in English you'll notice that it gives exactly the same calculation of 3 sides totalling 160cms.

As I said before, no harm in calling Kuroneko and having them come out to your place to check that the sizes are alright.

Black Mountain, take it easy buddy! Reread my two posts.

Have I contributed anything to this thread? Well, I have explained about est bindings & how the new fish rides. I have also explained that there is no 160cm restriction for snowboards for domestic shipping with takkyubin. I had a look at your links and I understand where you're coming from but come on, have you had a look at yahoo auctions recently? There are currently 425 auctions ongoing in the "over 160cm snowboard" category. How do you think people get them? Will kuroneko just bend the rules each time? Click on an auction and they will even give you the shipping rates (at the bottom of the page).

I have sent 4 snowboards and received 3 domestically in the past 3 years...all over 160cm. So I think I can safely say that I am not "dead wrong" about this.

There's a number of people in this thread (myself included) that have researched sending a board abroad and have found that the only way is through fedex/ups or one of those moving companies (all of which charge a fortune), yet you still want your buddy to waste his and a kuroneko driver's time trying the impossible.

LOL, don't worry Kumapix, I'm always taking it easy. I think it's safe to say that we both agree that it's possible to send board bags that are over 160cms domestically. You should read my post more clearly man. I said that I think the measurements are only guidelines and not rules, so no, I don't think that takkyubin will just 'bend the rules each time' as you say. That was the point I was making.

I think it's probably better to actually talk to someone who works for one of the takkyubin companies instead of just checking their website (like I already went over the issue that the website says they'll only take 160cms max. domestically when we've all had experiences to the contrary so isn't it just as likely that international is the same?). If it saves a few $ it hardly seems like a waste of time... and if it doesn't work out at least you know one way or the other!