Hi folks.

Not sure why I'm posting this because it's not really related but I'm so damn depressed by it I had to tell someone.

Last night at football (Rugby League) training my best mate was out on the wing. He did a chip and chase (beautiful try) and the defending fullback landed on him as he slid over the line. It was raining pretty hard and no one thought anything of it...until 5mins later when he pulled me out of play and said he needed to go to the hospital.

4 hours later we found out he had a grade 3 AC joint rupture. We are leaving for Hakuba this Friday. He now has 6 months in a sling and up to another 6 months of rehab after that. It was the most innocuous challenge I've ever seen - he didn’t even fall hard enough to wind himself, but its almost as bad an injury as they can come.

I really feel for the bugger (I spent 5 months in a sling last year as a result of 2 dislocations in my shoulder) as it stops him from doing anything. No football, no soccer…and certainly no snowboarding. $4000 for him is potentially gone (insurance may cover it but its not looking good) and my best mate can’t come on the trip we’ve been looking forward to for a year now.

Words can’t explain how sh!tty I feel right now. I’m absolutely gutted.

Dude - has the EXACT same thing happen to me about 8 years - dislocated, tore every muscle and a grade 6 AC joint break. Meant operation and then physio for about 8 months twice a week. Was hell and even now it hurts.

Was 'boarding yesterday and hit an edge, boom straight over onto my bad shoulder and the pain came flooding back. Was so damn scared that I had screwed it again, but was all good.

Make sure if he does go snowboarding in the future, he can get insurance on it - also most insurance companies do offer cover for accidents pre-holiday incidents.

Originally Posted By: Mattaus

... he had a grade 3 AC joint rupture... but its almost as bad an injury as they can come.

mate, that is a big bummer, how many others are on the trip was it just the two of you?

AC joint injuries go up to grade 6, though you are right the grade 3 in the point of "oh shit" where both the acromioclavicular (AC) ligament and coracoclavicular (CC) ligament both rupture.
screenshot081qx0.jpg

Just a word of warning in general about shoulders to any one reads this and who lifts weights: when doing shoulder shrugs never rotate your shoulder, always go straight up and down.
Rotating when doing shrugs (with heavy weights - 20kg plus) is something your shoulder joint is not designed to do, it puts huge amount of pressure on the rotator cuff muscles making you suseptible to future injuries.

"Thankfully" there are six of us going...so I still have plenty of company. I just really feel for him because now he has to go through all this while we're over there having (hopefully) the time of our lives. Defintely a few drinks will in his honour lol.

Thanks for the pics SG, I actually have a better understanding of it now other than "it's really bad". I spend a fair amount of time at the gym but have a strict set of exercises I need to do for my right shoulder that my physio gave me. Coming back from the dislocations was hard enough, I can't imagine what this would be like.

The main thing that stinks so bad is that all he effecively did was a front barrel roll...well after he got sat on. I can imagine it hurt a tonne, but he walked off like nothing had happened. I think he hid the emotional and phsyical pain very well. In fact when he told me he needed to go to hospital he broke the news by saying "Japans not going to happen for me".

It's funny that its all he cared about. If someone wants to pay him for his trip they can come in his place lol.

Oh man that's awful.

Such bad luck for him! Sad to hear it :(

Oh geez it would be great if he could sell his place/tickets to someone else, as unlikely as it is.

Have a great time the rest of you, I bet you'll be having a few cheers to your mate back home.

Sad to hear Matt. 3 weeks before I holiday, i always ease my martial arts training to something a little more aerobic and less risky, but as you say, it was nothing special that caused the injury.

Just make sure you send hima nice postcard!!

Last minute, but is it worth advertising the trip on e-bay for a bargain?

They gave him 2 codeine pills...thats it.

Just got off the phone to his mother as his little brother WAS coming. Because my mate can't go, even though I'm also friends with his little brother, he kind of doesnt want to go without his big brother.

The only good news so far however is that the insurance will cover him, and because he was technically his brothers gaurdian while on the trip the insurance should cover his little bro as well.

From 6 to 4 in 12 hours. Never ever saw this coming lol.

Wow so sorry to hear that about your mate, that really sucks! Hope he recovers as quickly as possible.

I know what it is like, about 12 years ago I had my right foot crushed flat by a 500kg weight, broke nearly every bone in my foot, but I am all healed now, apart from the occasional painful day if I happen to climb to the top of mount fuji etc, otherwise ok!

One thing about the pain, although I crushed my foot, I did not feel any pain what so ever for about 30 mins, then it hit, excrutiating pain, had to have morphine at the hospital.

Your friend would have been the same to start with, the body shuts down the pain to that area temporarily, it goes into a kind of shock status, sorry forget the special term for it.

Been the person he is I have no doubt that when he's all healed he'll boast about it till the cows come home lol.

Hopefully we can look back on it and laugh one day. Right now we are all feeling a little bit sorry for ourselves but we're not sure why!!

I'm trying to think positively about it. Originally the trip was planned for just the 4 that are now going. My mate and his brother tagged on last. So basically back to plan A.

Bit of a crappy positive actually...

Yeah, can't really complain too much. another positive is the insurance has been confirmed and will cover both of the fellas for all their costs. So they will get everything back.

Now I just have to sort it out with the airlines and the travel agent so that they know not to expect them to show up anytime soon.

Hey Matt

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Haven't you heard the old saying 2 weeks before a trip wrap yourselves in cotton wool and staying clear of any sick people.

I wasn't allowed to ride the horses or go on my normal cross country runs for fear I would hurt myself.

At least their insurance is going to cover them. I hope you have a good trip dispite your bad luck.

Matt,

I've got a recommendation for ya. I'm a good catholic fella but decided to visit Meiji Shrine in Tokyo. Read the instructions on how to offer up a prayer to the appropriate deity and asked him/her to look after the wellbeing of myself and my 6 mates in Niseko. Absolutely hammered the off piste trees and the terrain park with many 'out of control' moments for 10 days straight and not one of us was even remotely injured.

Can't hurt hey?

Shrine prayer thingy - check.

Not going to footy tomorrow night - check.

Not letting my mate play indoor cricket tonight - failed. He pulled his hamstring lol. He'll be right by Sunday though thank god.

No major injuries other than my shoulder our entire lives and it all falls apart now!

Bah

Best, Matt! Hope the gang stays together long enough to get there and shred a few lines! Deffinitely drown a few beers in honouor of "absent friends" and take them back a heap of brilliant pictures to make them absolutely jealous!

Then post them here so the rest of us get the jealous feeling too! (pretty please!)

Just remember mate when the powder is pumping there's no such thing as friends or family or anything else. It's all about the skiing (or boarding if you're one of those weirdos razz )

Sorry to hear about your friend Mattaus.

I was supposed to be in Hakuba 20th Jan, to snowboard for the season, i came over to Thailand for 2 weeks to see some friends and then travel to Tokyo 15th Jan.

Well i'm still here in Thailand and will be for another week !!

I was injured, head, leg injuries and broke my hand after getting away from 5 Thais who were originally going to rob me and then it turned a bit more serious. They never caught me, thank the Big Man up in the sky for that, but i hurt myself badly staying away from them.

Surgry to repair broken bones in my hand a scew inserted and a cast for 7 weeks, numerous trip to the hospital in Bangkok to sort everything else out but hopefully the cast will come off on the 22nd and then i'll be getting myself to Hakuba for some snow i hope.

It's not a bad place to be holed up, although the ******* on the bus got into my locked bag and pinched some clothes 4 days ago !!

It's been fun.

Bring on the snow !!

Originally Posted By: Mattaus
Hi folks.
4 hours later we found out he had a grade 3 AC joint rupture. He now has 6 months in a sling and up to another 6 months of rehab after that.

I know what your mate's going through. I had a grade III AC shoulder seperation last year. I didn't go for surgery. 12 weeks later I was back on the bike. I now have a funny lumpy shoulder. Physio said imobilise for at least 4 weeks, which I did in a sling. Re-hab? Shoulder strengthening exercises as you lose over head lifting strength. I think my shoulder was already partially re-habilitated as I think I'd already previously snapped a couple of shoulder ligaments snowboarding. Still when they told me what I'd done I had to lie down.