Hi all,

As the topic says I leave this Friday and I am getting very excited. I have all my gear sorted, my camera is good to go, lift tickets are all sorted, and I check the weather reports more often than they are updated (I don't know why I do it...)

I'm staying at the bsae of Happo-one but have not really researched the town itself much. I'm there for 2 weeks and myself and my 5 mates were planning on winging it (random exploration). But my question is thus:

Are there certain places, both ski and otherwise related, that people can recommend or encourage us to go see? Hole in the wall or local knowledge sort of things. Good eateries, bars, even areas to snowboard.

Really I'm just fishing for that little something else.

Anything I can squeeze from you lot would be awesome lol.

Cheers.

Wadano area. Obviously we plan on spending as much time as humanly possible on the slopes. Just need some stuff to do when we can't ride anymore.

I planned on using the shuttle a fair bit so I'll check that link out. What are the better areas in Hakuba for eating and drinking? Recommended hotel to visit or something?

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Best advice I can give is you should have come to Niseko, it's going off at the moment! razz

Sweeeeeeet.
Yes, we'll be there in a few days.
I too have been monitoring the weather / snow reports and snow cams there lots lately, and it's lookin like it's shaping up pretty good as this week progresses!

Mmmmmm.

We had a great Shabu Shabu at a place just near the level crossing on the main drag in town, Nonjays was gr8 for a casual meal, and a little place sort of diagonally opposite the station was good too.(restaurant guide has them all listed)

Catch the local bus up to Tsugaiki and grab lunch on the side of the hill, with a waffle from the booth near the gondola station. take your skis/boards as well.

Noodles on the snow at the top of Iwataki was also cool as was lunch at the nearly top of HappoOne ( bit pricey though).

The village at the bottom of Iwataki has some great places to lunch (compensates for lack of terrain sort of) Also some intersting retail.

And - the very top lift at HappoOne has some gr8 terrain that is often uncut on the left shoulder just near the boundary.

You are going to have a blast so get your good goggles, warm gear and daily wax kit and everything else will be OK.

mattaus the le neige is literally a stones throw from where you staying. That mexican place mentioned earlier, I'm not sure if it is the same one, but there is a mexican in echoland which you will visit as one of the included meals on your trip. Found a nice (and cheap) restaurant with huuuuge meals that is down near the mcdonalds in the village, it's called emu (or maybe imu) check out the chefs special on the menu.. it comes in a bowl the size of a wok and is delicious.

oh and next door to emu is ao convenience store that also sells fireworks (hanabi) which may keep you entertained haha.

hope you get some awesome snow while your there.

let me know if our kicker we built is still standing on the car park next to the windjacket.

Ah sweet - this is more like it. Unfortunately we booked all our stuff in late November last year and had it paid off nice and early (and thankfully so because we saved $1000 each when the agent decided to push the price up to compensate for the strong Yen - he had to foot the bill). Niseko might be a tad late to switch to....

I'm making a list of everything here and will be sure to consider those options first. I like the idea of cheap big meals, though we will dine out on some quality meals a few times.

Fireworks in Japan legal are they? So we can buy some and, within reason, go nuts? Totally different here in Aus....the boys will like that lol.

Familia if the kicker is gone we will rebuild it, and film the ensuing carnage.

the guy across the road ploughed out the lander, he wasnt to impressed by it, but i'd imagine the kicker will still be there, and a beauty it was aswell.

the emu place is very small but very very good meals. If you go in in the day and book you will get to eat at tables where you take your shoes off and sit on the floor with a hot plate in the centre to fry some things yourself.

yeah fireworks are legal, although that shop didn't have anything that was big enough for my liking, the best we found were these rocket things that came in packs of 5 or 6.

Oh yes also the onsen experience is a MUST, we went to two,one (i've forgotten the name) but it was behind 'the pub' which you will definately visit frequently. That one is an outdoor and indoor hot bath, with clear water. and then another one that we went to which is about a 20 minute walk away, just on the other side of the bridge, can't remember the name... but this one is much more authentic with more natural sulfury water, murky and smelly.. makes you feel amazing, I highly recommend this one. 500 yen plus another 200 for a towel.

Best advice I can give is you should have come to Niseko, it's going off at the moment! razz

Don't listen to him Matteus

We had 40cm fresh bluebird day today in Hakuba. Untracked all day and its looking good for the rest of the week.
Originally Posted By: Matt

Don't listen to him Matteus

We had 40cm fresh bluebird day today in Hakuba. Untracked all day and its looking good for the rest of the week.

So the snowdepth at the base in Hakuba has finally reached 40cm! Woohoo you guys are rockin! rollabout stir
Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
lol Got to laugh....

(* meaning a) not much anyone can do about the snowfall and B) GN is stirring)

Thats ALL GN seems to do...

Anyway, the part of Hakuba I was in had 110cm base at the bottom and 2m at the top so was in a fairly healthy state - oh and the top 40cm of that was fresh light powder!