I heard that Sony are bringing out or have brought out..? a 'full HD' helmet cam, it's a complete unit, meaning you can't just attach it to your digital camera like an analog 'bullet' cam. Haven't seen it, just been into the sony shop in Sydney and they said they have been shown this by a rep so their saying it should be out over in Japan already.

Anyone got one or know if it is out? That would be great.

Cheers!

yeah cheers for that, I did actually see that already but not before I made this post... Anyway, anyone know if there is a Sony shop at Narita airport? I wana pick that item up before I hit the snow!!:)

FWIW, there's a SONY store at Kansai (KIX), had a very noice "organic screen" about 10inch diagonal and wonderful resolution. Cost?? around 20man, IIRC.

Lol, sorry. By Sony Tax I meant it'll be more expensive than similar items from other manufacturers purely because its a Sony.

Just like the Apple tax. You can buy a similar specced PC to an Apple for a lot less. Its a fairly recent term....obviously not popular enough to use in general conversation yet lol

Any one in tokyo at the moment or will be there in the next week or so that might just be able to pop into the sony store and make an enquiry about this particular camera?? Do it for yourself, me and everyone else on the forum.

Cheers!!

A very good place to get info on cameras used for extreme sports is Dropzone.com . You will find most people do use sony and an alternative used successfully is Xacti HD2.

When it comes to hard drives, the head floats off the platter by air. Density affects and hence have altitude limits you can find out from manufacturers. Bumps can skip off the head from platters and damage them. So hard drive is no good.

I don't think there are any gizmoz that reduce ALL the camera shake. wink Technology has reduced the skill required to operate a camera to nearly it's a matter of angle and perspective, and the only thing required is keeping the camera steady. I think that makes the difference in shooting great sports vids. It shows how jelly your knees really are biggrin

I don't know about altitude but the above mentioned sony HXR-MC1 can have the crap shaken out of it and it will still record because it records in solid-state to the memory stick and not to a hard drive. You should click on that Link above, I'll check out the other camera's too but I doubt they would have full HD 1920 x 1080 capability. As for gizmos that can fix stability, take a look at 'Final cut pro' and get your self a mac. You will still need to keep the camera reasonably steady but they can make a recording on a handy cam being held while running look as if its on rails. Really amazing stuff!!

I'm sure they will sell helmet mount attachments as an accessory with this camera.

Like I said before, anyone stopping in tokyo, or in tokyo atm mind stopping in at sony and let us know if they have this thing.. That would be very much appreciated.

If you got the money, sure! Lot's of Gigs and processing power on your Mac. Final cut pro is expensive.... iMovie HD is ok for short stuff but powerbooks are inadequate for the task.

yep. cards and memory sticks are the go.

FCP is expensive like you said, just mentioned that coz there is a 'gizmo' well, software, in this case, to tackle the camera shake. I have imovie 09 and it has most of the great features FCP has including, smooth clip motion 'stabilization' and colour etc.. FCP is more geared towards professional commercial production.

If you wish to do production on the go, if you work in the industry or whatever, the macbook pro coupled with an external drive would work perfectly. Without the external however you'd be 'up the creek' trying to do anything with HD.

I found with my macbook the limited drive space is the bottleneck. Do external drives work though? Would the Firewire or UBS2 slow down the process? It takes me overnight to burn just 20G of HD to DVD.

Yes the external drive is the key, firewire is slow!! Should be using usb to transfer from your camera, select the external drive to save your video to. When you get a chance duck into the apple store, make an appointment online with an imovie tech, they can show you. It's quite simple but they know a few other tricks too.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been into the big Sony store in Tokyo..? (Recently) I want to Know if the camera I'm talking about is there or not? It's the full HD sony helmet cam as mentioned at the start of this thread.