I'd like to know, who stops a ski resort from lying about snow depth?

And when does the stretching of the truth become a lie?

It just annoys me when I hear a resort saying they have 210cm or snow and go there to find dirt and mud on the lower slopes.

Who' stops them lying ? I think we can.. Just tell them you will report it on this forum. Tell them it's BAD PR. BAD BUSINESS.... I bet everyone would like to know when shite like that goes down...

once again, which resort is that Yamayamayama ...

Probably the only people who can reallly tell are the people who live/work in the area. Ferinstance, I'd be no use at all because I get to slide just a week or so each year and have several hours travel to get near snow at the best of times. However, GN (for example) lives and works at Hirafu, can see the facts and report here, as he does regularly.

Thanks GN! and others who give us all the good oil on what's going down in the land of powder.

The dust has been getting thicker with snow falling most of today. Up high though the winds are gale force and I'm thinking most of those slopes have been stripped back to just ice. We really need the winds to abate so the snow can start settliing.

Just in general sucks. So you want to complain about it but don't want to blow the whistle.

in Japanese, yu-jyu-fudan... You know if some of the resorts change they can advertise themselves as " We don't lie about our snow depth" If you like that place you are doing everyone a favor. Sorry, no offense IMO

cheers

Just to ease your mind, at Nozawa there is a giant measuring pole pretty close to the top of the Nagasaka gondola. It's roped off so you can't get near it. They take their Yamabiko (top of mountain) measurement there which is a little strange as it isn't really on Yamabiko. It probably turns out that they are under reporting the snow depth as I'm sure their would be more further up the mountain.

I often feel they under report snowdepth at Niseko, or they are reporting from areas that get greatly wind affected or packed down. I mean I can come to work and be walking through a good 20-30cm of fresh and the resorts official snowdepth has barely gone up at all. Still we have to accept what we get and the depths reported do give a reasonable idea of how the season is going especially if you compare to previous years.

Yes I always find it amusing how Kagura can get 50cm of new snow and their snow depth doesn't increase.

It's like Matt's 40cm + 40cm over the last week. That equals 80cm right? Sure hasn't been anything like reflected in the snow depths. (Not a rag at you Matt, just an example).