Forty six point one degrees !!!

The thing that makes me proud to be an Australian the most is the way people rally to the cause immedeatly. Kids are donating there pocket money, fundraisers going on everywhere.

Everyones' kicking in to help.

I don't know if that happens everywhere else but I,m glad it does here.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
The thing that makes me proud to be an Australian the most is the way people rally to the cause immedeatly. Kids are donating there pocket money, fundraisers going on everywhere.
Everyones' kicking in to help.

I don't know if that happens everywhere else but I,m glad it does here.

Mantas,
I was reflecting on this very same thing this morning. The stories coming out about the heroism, the people helping each other and the sense of community, the CFA and Ambos and the medical staff and everyone else who have just pitched to help is really quite moving - by one account nearly 2000 homes have been lost. This is year 10 for me living overseas, none of my 3 (soon to be 4) kids were born in Aust but I'm as proud to be an Australian now as I have ever been and I hope my kids will one day feel the same.

Sydney Morning Herald, this morning, had a series of pics of CFA (Country Fire Authority) volunteers with their answer to the question "Why did you join the CFA?". One of then looked blank at the questioner and said "Why Wouldn't ya? I live here!"

That sums up the whole philosophy. You live in the community, you protect it. You'd expect others to help you if it was you, so you get stuck in and help them when they need it.

Collection buckets in all the shops today. Fundraiser being planned everywhere.

Those CFA dudes were discribed by one comentator as 'the modern day diggers'

Even the Kiwis have come over to lend a hand. I wonder if they'll do the Haka first. lol

Originally Posted By: Mantas
The thing that makes me proud to be an Australian the most is the way people rally to the cause immedeatly. Kids are donating there pocket money, fundraisers going on everywhere. I don't know if that happens everywhere else but I'm glad it does here.

When we had 'our' earthquake here 4 years ago, a similar thing happened. It was wonderful to see people getting on, helping out and doing what they could. Not only in the immediate area but further afield and even throughout Japan as well. I would hope that similar things would happen in most communities when something tragic like this happens.

Sadly some of that comradery is much less apparent now (the ojisan who spoke to me and laughed with me at that time for the first time no longer speaks with me - probably worth noting that I hardly ever see him...), though only to be expected I suppose.