OK it's time for me to go get my driving licence renewed. I'm up for Gold this time (ie. not naughty business in the last few years, good boy). It says I need 1 hour, but mentions some kind of "practice". Anyone tell me what that entails? Am I going to have to actively do something, or just watch a silly video telling me how to drive safely?

Thanks!

Just renewed mine last week actually! You just have to do show the license renewal slip along with your old license, wait a couple of mins then they check your eyes, you go to a couple of counters then you go and watch a vid for about 1 hour, they give you some pamplets and you pick up your new license on your way out the door! Actually did mine in Shinjuku, and they even had an English vid there, 30mins, so total time 45 mins start to finish!

I think it may vary depending where you go though time wise for the procedures?

The vid is just showing you about the driver rules and regs, etc.

vid is much longer for shoddy old blue carder, they get the full safety one but the goldies get a very short video of new road regs or something like that ( I was daydreaming at that point)

Not sure about 15 min long vids, but I think it varies between test centres so likely to be anything from 15 mins up.... The one I watched was about 30 mins, but then I am on a five year license, not a first timer, so maybe why it is a short vid. Like SG said the blue license holders or the newbies get the full works all 2 hours of vid! But I guess we all had to go through the gruelling sleep inducing 2 hour vid first time round anyway.

OK so I had my fun.

In and out in less than 30 minutes.

Fill out a form, hand over my licence and ID, get my photo taken, fail the eye test miserably without my glasses, pass easily with my glasses, sit down and watch 15 minute vid telling me about dangerous driving and not using my keitai or driving drunk.

Then pay up some cash and I need to go back in 4 weeks to pick up my new one.

Easy!

Hate it when they come back with a list of "what needs to be done" and "what you should have done". Whether it is or not, sounds like pressured sales to me and not knowing cars all that well it's difficult to make a proper choice. Hate it hate it.

I know exactly what you are saying there.

Last time I asked them to cut the bullshit and tell me just what I NEED to have done in order to pass. On top of that, for the things they told me I 'should' change, I asked them which would almost certainly not last 2 years until next shaken. It soon came down in price.