Hi there new here.

Hoping to visit Japan next winter.

Looks like I have a lot to read up.

Got a question - resorts in Japan do they usually have paper tickets or electronic automated gates that you go through?

Friend of mine said they were mostly just paper tickets, thought it sounded a bit old fashioned for 'modern Japan' (of which I know little, don't laugh!)

Cheers

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? They are very papery here, complete with sogginess when damp/wet.

I've been to 10 different places this season and all but one were paper (plastic?). The only one that had automated gates was Nozawa in Nagano. All the others in Niigata here and Kusatsu were a piece of paper. (plastic?)

friend

The one thing that amuses me every time I come back here is: despite how far we've gone digitally, we're still stuck in the infrastructure of the 80s. The kitchen... my office... the buildings are still quite inefficient and old :(.

I yearn for an electric kettle!!!

Originally Posted By: Crustanoid
Hi there new here.
Hoping to visit Japan next winter.
Looks like I have a lot to read up.

Got a question - resorts in Japan do they usually have paper tickets or electronic automated gates that you go through?

Friend of mine said they were mostly just paper tickets, thought it sounded a bit old fashioned for 'modern Japan' (of which I know little, don't laugh!)

Cheers

Shiga Kogen uses electronic chips.

Cheers - Snowy

The only place that I have been that uses electronic tix is Hakuba 47.

Yep you'd think that.....welcome to the contrasts of Japan!!

Hunter Mountain also uses electronic tickets.

A funny thing I've noticed about the large collection of paper lift passes I have is that they are all exactly the same size (9x6cm).

Seems easy to counterfeit, don't you think?

Back home in the States, lift tickets come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Some would have bar codes for lifties to scan in case they think you counterfeited yours. None of my lift tickets from Japan have anything like that.

Originally Posted By: thursday
no people, it's called plastic.....

What does Niseko use, Thursday? On Honshu most resorts are using paper paper. As in, when I tried to exchange my 3-day lift ticket for a free onsen pass, it was so sodden that it disintegrated when I tried to remove it from the pass holder.

thats really strange..

in nz on mt. rhuapehu they use hard plastic for the season passes,others are paper..really annoying as my friend has had it ripped off after a crash n shit ;/ they still use hand scanners down there razz

it would just be so much easier with chip cards that need no people to scan ..just a pole you walk past/rub on and it will let you through..i have 3 diff chip cards for skandinavia and the alps..also being able to load them online instead of queuing is nice biggrin