Is there any heavy snowfall on the horizon?

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Just looked back at the Yuzawa reports which is interesting

Feb 13th 09:
230cm at Kagura
160cm at Gala Yuzawa
100cm at Iwappara
160cm at Kandatsu

Feb 15th 08:
320cm at Kagura
230cm at Gala Yuzawa
280cm at Iwappara
290cm at Kandatsu

Feb 15th 07:
220cm at Kagura
150cm at Gala Yuzawa
100cm at Iwappara
120cm at Kandatsu

It feels like there is much less than there ever has been and I certainly have never seen as little outside my house (currently less than 30cm). So it is interesting that the snow depths are quite comparable to 2 years ago. Wonder how that can be explained.......

Yeah, Check 06 and you'll see a HUGE snowpack. We've had alternating good and bad years for the past four. I recall 3 years ago being the worst. Places further south west had to close down by the end of February when they would normally have a 2 meter snowpack.

Yes interesting Muikabochi, maybe goes in cycles, for sure no two years are likely to be the same and for there to be really heavy snow every year is also unlikely, but interesting to see how two different years have almost the same depths!

Oh well guess we will know in about another 6 weeks or so how this winter actually did turn out.

My main point I suppose was that while the snow depths at the resorts are fairly similar this year and 2 years ago, the snow depth outside my house is way way lower than it was 2 years ago (think 30cm compared with 150cm). That I find curious and having difficulty explaining it.

I see what you mean, yes that is strange why the snow depths outside your house is so low. Only thing I can think of is the slopes themselves seem to maintain the snow depths better than for example an open field as the snow on the slopes is groomed and compressed and of course making it more harder and more concentrated, thus it doesn't melt so easily where as snow just laying on an open field is of course compressed to a certain degree by new snow, but not by human weight, machines etc, so naturally there are more air pockets in the snow, making it easier for the sun to penetrate through the surface and melt it, this is just my theory behind it, no idea if what I said is right, just my theory though.

With there being almost no decent new snowfall since new year (where you are anyway muika), and lots of mild temperatures and a fair splashing of rain now and then, I would suggest also that perhaps there are a few porkies being told by resorts. It always makes me chuckle how quick they are to add to snow depths when it snows but how hesitant they seem to be to decrease them.

There's no doubt in my mind that there is much less than usual round where I live. Which is 15 minutes to the north of Yuzawa. Right now other than the rice field opposite my house, there is no snow at all round the house and by the road where usually mid-winter there is a big few metres high wall of snow. Can't remember exactly what it was 2 years ago, but it certainly wasn't like it is right now.

Quote:
What about the next valley or around the other side of the mountain?

Yuzawa doesn't have much more than here I reckon. The town anyway... high up at Kagura seems ok but I'm not there often so I can't really compare it.

But it definitely seems to be that being high up is really important this season. In this region anyway.

All interesting! Perhaps one of the more knowledgeable people on this subject might have a more reasoned explanation.

Originally Posted By: joshnii
I would suggest also that perhaps there are a few porkies being told by resorts.

Yes couldn't agree with you more, I know for example that Koumi Rex in Nagano doesn't have the reported 75cm of snow, more like 30-40cm absolute max, why I know this is because I was there three days ago!

It has been said by many that Japanese resorts don't correctly report the true depths, because if they report too much it scares the Japanese away because they think they can't get there or will disapear in all the snow and if too little well of course no one will want to go!

Certainly I think a lot of us notice that the true depths of snow are quite different from the reported depths!

Japan is very diverse though, there certainly can be a huge difference in snow depths and quality in just a mere few kilometres and the next mountain can be quite different.

A distance of much less than 5km can make a big difference, even at the same altitude. The valley in Hakuba is less than a kilometer wide in places, but that is definitely noticable.

Snow forecast.com forecast a minimum of 10C and rain to the summit for Hakuba tonight, but its only 4C out there now. It is raining like mad though.

That sucks! real downer when it snows a little and get light cover and the next day it's pissing down... happens here, too.

I just shoveled our driveway ...and now it's coming down heavier.. biggrin

ooooooh

• SnowJapan Moderator

That is good to hear.

During the daytime yesterday there was just 1cm of snow on my car that had been parked from 9am to 4pm (in Yuzawa). This morning there has just been a sprinkling overnight. It is actually snowing more out in Minamiuonuma than in Yuzawa by the looks.

Yeah was up in the bowl pretty much all day - on the gungun and suisui runs, was going to try the zuluzulu run (wanted to get all the sounds) as there was sooo much powder, and was also pretty empty. Dropped down to centre leisure in the afternoon and was puking down there as well in the mid-afternoon, then back up to the ranran course to finish off, with some very very tired legs afterwards.

Just goes to show the pattern that we are unfortunately getting this year - it's finding it hard to snow much at lower levels where it usually dumps on us.

Good to hear the upper slopes were good though. friend

Did you like Maiko?