Is there any heavy snowfall on the horizon?

It's not looking like it wants to this season is it.

Spoke to a friend who works at a resort in Niigata.... the forecast seems to be for a warmer than average February and the management there are worried (and planning) that they won't be able to get past the end of February.

Just passing on, not my statement!

Originally Posted By: isomorph
It's not going to snow much more this season mark my words.
Unfortunately, most of Honshu isn't going to get any sustained peak season conditions.
I think the season will be over in some places end of this month.

It snowed 40cm the night before last in Hakuba...

Next week looks good - getting colder from Sunday with some good falls on the 17th hopefully. Also the 21st/22nd is looking really good

http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/9panel/gfsx_500p_9panel_easia.html

http://wxmaps.org/pix/NHanim.html

Before that we're going to have to hunker down and get through this rain!

Surely it will snow again this season, I'm not disputing that. Hell, it should - it's mid February! The 40cm you so proudly mention sure as hell didn't hit the top of my car. It should be puking down to village a few times a week.

If you re-read what I said (and what you quoted me saying), 'Unfortunately, most of Honshu isn't going to get any sustained peak season conditions.'

Yeah I agree with you Matt, it's looking pretty good for the next couple of weeks or so. This system coming through today reminds me of a similar one in March a couple of years ago. We had a day of solid rain but then it barely stopped snowing for the next couple of weeks. I reckon this will be similar.

Yesterday when I woke there was 10 cm in Munich and light snow during the day, today it's snowing! Expected to snow for the next week. Finally! I'm told this happens here. Japan usually gets snow earlier but late snow in Feb has happened so keep your fingers closed.

cheers and keep up the snow dance smile

I think we will get another dump at the end of this month and maybe one more in March sometime, but although some snow is lined up for the coming week, still not going to be all that much I don't think.

I did mention this back in Sep / Oct that this year would be a warm winter with little snow!

Having said that even if we only get another couple of reasonable dumps it is still usually enough to keep most of the resorts open until end of march at least. The higher ones should be ok into april.

Just looked back at the Yuzawa reports which is interesting

Feb 13th 09:

230cm at Kagura

160cm at Gala Yuzawa

100cm at Iwappara

160cm at Kandatsu

Feb 15th 08:

320cm at Kagura

230cm at Gala Yuzawa

280cm at Iwappara

290cm at Kandatsu

Feb 15th 07:

220cm at Kagura

150cm at Gala Yuzawa

100cm at Iwappara

120cm at Kandatsu

It feels like there is much less than there ever has been and I certainly have never seen as little outside my house (currently less than 30cm). So it is interesting that the snow depths are quite comparable to 2 years ago. Wonder how that can be explained.......