Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
There are just as many J-thieves.

CB I doubt very much this is true. One of the main differences between say Aus and here (in terms of crime) is that Japan doesn't appear to have anywhere near the same issues with hard drugs, in particular heroin. In Aus something like 70% of the crime committed is basically so heroin addicts can attempt to pay for their addiction.
You've been over here way too long if you truly believe crime levels here are anything even approaching the levels back in western countries.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Go Native

CB I doubt very much this is true. One of the main differences between say Aus and here (in terms of crime) is that Japan doesn't appear to have anywhere near the same issues with hard drugs, in particular heroin. In Aus something like 70% of the crime committed is basically so heroin addicts can attempt to pay for their addiction.

GN, I hate to break it to you but Japan has a big drug problem with ice, but unlike say oz for example, doesn't publicise it in the media. Kind of swept under the carpet and all hush hush. Maybe not in your little sheltered world in Kutchan, but in many other places.

My rule of thumb is really, no matter how safe the place might seem to be, lock up your stuff if you don't want it flogged.
Originally Posted By: RobBright
ba-doom-tish

touch wood - not had anything stolen but took the safety of tagging my stuff.

What do you mean by 'tagging'?

How can I engrave(?) my name, postcode on my new board?
Originally Posted By: Indo
Originally Posted By: Go Native

GN, I hate to break it to you but Japan has a big drug problem with ice, but unlike say oz for example, doesn't publicise it in the media. Kind of swept under the carpet and all hush hush. Maybe not in your little sheltered world in Kutchan, but in many other places.

My rule of thumb is really, no matter how safe the place might seem to be, lock up your stuff if you don't want it flogged.

From Wikipedia regarding drug use in Japan

'Incidence of drug abuse is minuscule, compared with other industrialized nations and limited mainly to stimulants.'

Indo I didn't say there's no drug abuse in Japan but was pointing out that Japan has a lot less crime due to drugs.

I found the following stats for each country

Aus
Burglaries (per capita) 21.7454 per 1,000 people

Japan
Burglaries (per capita) 2.3269 per 1,000 people

So from this there's close to 10 times the amount of burglaries per capita in Aus compared to Japan. I've never once locked my house since living in Kutchan and don't lock my car whilst it's parked at home.

I don't know much about thefts but there's always cases of mistaken property. When everyone has their skis/boards/stocks out the front of shops, a lot of people tend to accidentally take someone else's... it's quite a hassle to try and get everything back to their owners. You'd be suprised how many thousands of dollars of property is left behind at the end of season (everything from video cameras to racing skis :S)

Never had a problem myself.

As big a problem with robbery in Japan as in the US/UK/Australia?

I have no stats, but based on experience living here it sounds a ludicrous claim.

(Though certainly problems such as this are increasing).

Originally Posted By: SG
I had a brand new pair of Goretex gloves go walkies from a backpackers in Hakuba about 6 years ago...

And, who'd you suspect? Locals or visitors??

My money'd be on visitors.

I heard a number of jackets have been stolen from Hirafu pubs/bars, be careful, then again Hirafu really isn't Japan. A few years back a buddy of mine had some stuff stolen when we were up for a nighter at Teine in Sapporo. Best to be careful and lock your stuff up tight wherever you go in this world...

We have board locks and stick them in the suitcase EVERY trip - but never use them! LOL Maybe I should!

Never had anything stolen in Japan.

Did not have anything stolen in Zermatt.

Never had anything 'stolen' in Australia, but lost plenty of stuff.

Firstly the little kid lost 3 pairs of gloves and 2 buffs on ONE 4 day trip - none turned up in lost property (even after we left). Finally bought him a pair of CHEAP gloves instead of the expensive ones, and guess what - not lost them! LOL

Finally on the girls trip to Thredbo last year we hired a board in Jindy for a friend, and after lunch on day one it was gone. Funny though we found almost identical board on the next rack - so we took the afternoon off and waited to see if anyone claimed that board. Turned out no-one did....ahhhhh HA! Mistaken board. So we switched the bindings (she is goofy - other board was set up natural) and rode the rest of the weekend. returned the board to the hire shop on the way (paperwork was in the car and we only realised it was from the SAME shop when we were leaving) - and turns out they had the other board on the rack - returned by the unaware natural rider. Using a lock would have saved us some time off the snow.

last year a guy of ours lost a brand new zepplin board with new bindings on his first day out with it. he was gone for a matter of a minute and came out and the board went MIA. So the group of us waited at the bottom in chance that someone else had taken it (by mistake or purpose)

When all was said and done, We found a guy that was trying to get on the lift. We pulled him aside and it turned out that, he had the same board, but catch this, the bindings were the same make but different color and the base of the board was likewise a different color then that of this guy.

It was a bit odd not to notice the color differences, but it happened.

I dont care if I am boarding on a mountain full of monks, if I dont have a line of sight on my gear, its locked. Snowboards are one of those items where just about any mountain you go to, someone else is bound to have a similar setup. And unless you have some mark that can be easily distinguished to the original owner, you could just kiss your gear goodbye. Even in a dispute.

I see almost nobody locking their gear here.

In Zao, even winter many people use ropeway for tourist sightseeing and so go up without ski or snowboard. Even skier leave ski and snowboard long time at top while they go looking at the snow monster. I only heard of one time with someone reporting snowboard taken by someone else. I hope it does not increase but I think it is a good idea to lock.