Much less than usual for sure.

Not snowing as much as usual.

You need to go higher up to get decent snow, which usually is not a problem peak season.

That's northern Gunma.

Pretty much the same.

There are good conditions to be found higher up, but not as often and this ain't usually an issue in January/February. It is right now though. There have been lots of mild days, it is definitely not as cold it usually is in winter.

Yeah, had a few beers with a coupla mates who were in Tenjindaira a few weeks ago and said it was ice bound in a lot of places. I remember Tenjindaira as a place that always went off, snow wise. Sounding like, with the exchange rate being shitty too, that it just may not be worth it this season. I am here to mainly get my J back to where I want it to be, and therefore am trying not to let wanting to snowboard dominate me (bad snow conditions/poor exchage rate may just make it easier to resist)

Thats it though - it's definitely more patchy and not as guaranteed as we are used to. But like I said there are good conditions out there. Just got to find and time them more than usual!

Don't give up!

friend

Been pretty good up north. Not as much snow as average and warmer than normal but there's been plenty of great powder days. The numerous warmer periods and rain events in between snowfalls have been particularly annoying but we still have up around a 3m cover up high. At my house in Kutchan have close to 1.2m on the ground. Not great but not too bad.

Same here.

I've had some good days out so far, but I have been able to time them.

Right now conditions down at town are spring-like but places like Kagura seem to be getting new layers every now and again so in this area somewhere like that is the best bet if you ask me. Until it snows decent again I'm going to stick to Kagura or higher areas if I go out. Not sure when the next time will be.

It just ain't cold enough. I haven't had to shovel snow once this season so far which is very unusual. Usually round about now there's 2m+ outside my house - right now there's 30cm or so.

Problem is - 'normal' for us is compared to many places being spoiled with amazing conditions. So we have extremely high expectations!

Hello wave

I am in Shiga Kogen and the snow here - while less than usual - is holding up pretty well due to out normal cold temperatures. It very rarely goes above 0 degrees and while it has been warmer than usual, it still mostly keeps below there.

I hope we get some good snow in February so that we can enjoy our usual long season. Right now that is a worry.

I agree with MG. Compared to last year its not as good... but many years don't add up to what happened last year. Of the 20ish days I've been on the hill this season I'd say 12 or 13 were beauty powder days. Just need to look around, watch the reports and be flexible with when you can go...

BTW, the only snow I see in Shizuoka-ken is at the top of Mt. Fuji! We've been averaging 15 degrees here this week!!

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Spitzingsee in the Bavarian Alps being the closest and great on weekdays for us but not much snow happening this year. It's hard old snow, 20/40 cm at the moment. Last year the snow came early and we even had earlier opening weekends in Zillartal but this year we are still in wait for the big one. I think we head down to the southern parts of Austria. It's supposed to snow this weekend, fingers crossed...

Cheers