...or rather weak Aussie dollar.

My question is have any of the prices around the resorts, particularly Hakuba, for food and drink (see:alcohol) decreased at all?

I guess it has a fair bit to do with tourist numbers. Are they down at all? Fewer tourists means that the resorts may lower prices to entice custom, but then again they'd do that mainly on hotel prices etc...

I have seen a post on these forums recently but it did'nt really address the issue. Just wishful thinking really, an expensive trip becomes even more painfully so the more I look into the nitty gritty. I knew what I was getting into when I booked in early December (was going downhill by then easily) but the plan is to have a good time and I really can't do that if I'm stuck in my hotel eating bread and water most nights. That been said I never really plan on going bonkers (only on the last night in Tokyo). Me and my mates just want to go out for dinner a few nights, and relax with some casual drinks, talk about the days adventures and the cool stuff we'll be up to the next day. groovy

Sorry, I've drifted a bit.

To the point - has there been any noticeable drop in food and beverage (Alcoholic and non-alcoholic) prices?

Yes I'm getting bored now. 18 days and counting lol.

Peace!!!

- Matt

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Hakuba, so this is where I am in Niigata.....

Haven't really noticed any difference Mattaus. A few places I know seem to have happy hour and restaurants with some special promotion, but no big noticeable difference I'm afraid.

Round here though, compared to Hakuba and ther other Almighties, there aren't as many foreigners and so it is less of a % of the total number of people.

No the prices are the same (or higher, in the case of lift passes), it's only the AUD that's changed. Not trying to sound harsh, but it is wishful thinking to hope that the Japanese will drop their retail prices to accomodate the Aussies. Suck it up. Especially in Hakuba, where the Aussie tourists are still in the small minority.

yeah.the strong yen sure is making things annoying for me right now.. 14 days till i hit tokyo n the yen is nearly twice as expensive as it was last june/july when i was there :(

was thinking of getting some sweet new glass for my camera but now..i dont think so.

hopefully it will go down somewhat before mid feb but i doubt it :(

luckily still have around 20k y in cash here that I'll be using on the skipasses n shit razz

Bah! All doom and gloom lol.

Thankfully all our ski passes, board hire and accomodation was paid for before the Yen changed the prices too much. So we got it all relatively cheap. I'm only really concerned that prices will effect our ability to have out-of-snow fun. But that been said we are pretty good for cash anyway. We've been saving for a while now.

I read somwhere not long ago that the strong Yen/bad everyone else, was resulting in such poor exports for Japan that some people were calling for the Yen to be re-valued!!!!

How good would that be for us lol!?!? I'm no finance guru so I'm not sure I even have that right.

All I really care about now is snow fall....common baby.

People make a big thing about prices in bars, but you make next to nothing selling beer in Japan. The stuff in kegs is just as overpriced/overtaxed as the stuff in cans in the supermarket.

I think the prices in the touristy areas have actually gone up a bit. I noticed about a 10 - 20 % increase in food prices in Niseko this year... Don't think anywhere is decreasing. But you can drink fake beer for about 100Y a can... if you don't mind the painful headaches the next day!!

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba

Don't worry, prices are way down. Loads of discounts for Aussies and you'll have extra change left over. Oh yes free beers in most places.

I demand you tell me where this magical place is lol. lol I'm not trying to be silly, just I consider myself an optimist biggrin

All jokes aside, I would start a new topic but I feel it is sort of related. If I need to I can start fresh however:

Cash or card? My general inclination was to take a fair amount of cash with me (enough for say 3 or 4 days spending) and then when I run out, go to the local post office and withdraw enough cash for the next 3 or 4 days. As far as I know Japan is still very cash centric, and I've been told to just pay for everything with the paper stuff. I was even considering having enough moeny for a week, and only using my card like 3 times the whole time I'm there to cut down on transaction fees.

I'd just rather take a few hundred in Yen with me, then the other couple of grand on a travelex card because if I misplace the travelex card (or have it stolen) I can have it cancelled and repalced instantly. Plus other advantages of course.

Anyway, thoughts and suggestions from people who have been to, or even live in Hakuba?

Any help would again be welcome.

Cheers.

Cash Cash Cash

No one will refuse cash, but most places don't have card facilities.

Depending on your card, you may also be able to get cash out at the 7-11, which seems to be becoming the more popular option. The Post Office has rather limited hours too, and as far as I know its only the one next to the station that has an "international" machine, so it may become a hassle to get there if you are staying in Goryu or something.

Carrying lots of cash is ok - you are not going to get mugged here, but would be cautious of fellow travellers, so rather keep it with you than stash it in your bag or something. I have had more things stolen in the last six weeks, than in my last 7 seasons here... actually this is the first year I've had theft issues at all, and I've had a bunch of stuff going walkies this year :-(

defbring cash...when i was there last in june was gonna buy some new camera gear n shit so grabbed all the cash at narita for thebackpacker,food and toys..bout 100k or so..and you do see people with alot more esp akihabara

also sometimes you can negotiate price if u pay cash,never use my card in jap..much more fun with cash!!

keba and i are in Furano. 800Y for a small glass of sake tonight at dinner; 550Y for a glass of beer (dear - 390 was our cheapest in a fortnight at any restaurant); 800yen for small main sized plate at dinner (we order 2 or 3); beers in the machines are 250Y for a 350ml can; beers in the coop/supermarket are 650Y for a 6x350ml sixpack or 1000Y for a 6x500ml sixpack; bento box of sushi in the coop is about 600Y. A kitkat is 125Y.

These prices run across most resorts (ex niseko where a large flat white was 600Y and a few ski items i was looking at were 3 times other resorts eg neoprene facemask 4800 but 1500 at rusutsu on the mountain).

bottom line is drink at home, then go eat.

at the resorts we have found the pork/chicken/whatever buns in the stores more economical than the katsudon/katsu curry which generally aint that great after the first 50 times anyways.

oh and must have the takoyaki(octopus balls) - often takeaway at the bigger supermarkets.

remember your worst days skiing is better than your best day at work.

the yen has strengthened to the point where basically everything is nearly double that of xmas time. before it was cheapish; now its really dear. the japanese at present are not prepared to devalue their entire country to accomodate a small number of somewhat irritating aussie tourists ie they dont give a rats...canada looks nice next season...

Drinking in bars in Japan was pretty expensive BEFORE the exchange rate went crazy! Your best bet is to drink a fair bit at home and take it easy in the bars. Of course, a government isnt going to devalue the currency for the benefit of a few tourists - especially when its such an insignificant part of the country's economy. It something they might consider to help Japanese exporters though.

Basically we will make time to get down to the post office to get our allowance of cash for the next few days.

We are staying at the base of Happo-One, and I've noticed there is a post office near Hakuba Station. The map is not scaled very well so I need to know - how far is the post office? Is it reasonable, or will it be a trek and a half to get there?

Also, my brother has it in his head that he will be using travellers checks so he can cash them without paying conversion fees (so pay a conversion fee when he buys them, but no more fees after that. This is opposed to a travelex card or a cirus card that charges you fees at the time of the transaction as well)

Is the travellers checks thing a good idea? Or will it be too hard to do in Hakuba? If I went with travellers checks I'd then use my commonwealth card (cirus) for more cash towards the end of the trip...or should I get a travelex card? I get paid during the second week of our trip and I need a way to get that cash to me faster than ordering new travelers checks and having them posted to me.

I'm so lost now its not funny. I have about 5 options and all of them have their pro's and con's but they are all basically dependant on availability of facilities to get money off whatever medium I pick.

No matter what I do I need a way to get cash from my bank account to me in Hakuba on the 4th of March. Pay day!! So I need a travelex or my bank card regardless. The question is what to do with the dosh I have already.

Sorry if I'm confusing you all, your help has been wonderful so far. Hopefully I can figure this out very soon lol.

EDIT: As for food I'm not too worried about it now. The whole drink at home and eat out thing is really the same here in Aus since the government decided to tax the hell out of us cause we all drink too much cheers

I agree with Gary about the travellers checks. Don't really think its worth the trouble. Just bring cash and cards (bank or credit). I can't believe that Japanese banks would cash travellers checks without taking their cut. And, although I've never used them in Japan, I've also never seen any place other than banks that accept them or cash them for you. Cash is safe here. You won't be mugged and if you keep it with you it won't be stolen either.

Just out of interest, is this your first time overseas?

Originally Posted By: phool
oh and must have the takoyaki(octopus balls) - often takeaway at the bigger supermarkets

Only takoyaki worth getting is from Osaka!! razz

The tap beer is called "nama" and is more expensive due to the hops/barley content. A lot of the canned beer has corn, potato etc (the ingredients are written on the side).

Definitely not my first time over seas...I've lived in South Africa for 5 years, travelled to Zimbabwe (long ago lol) and Zambia, and have been to England, Hong Kong, Singapore and Vietnam.

The reason I seem so antsy about cash this time is because contrary to the other times when I just used my card and what cash I changed at the airport before I left, I am trying to be more cash conscious. Reducing fees and what-not would be a big help because I’ve just taken on a $25,000 car loan and am looking at buying a house at the end of the year.

Every penny counts as they say.

I would honestly do all cash but I don’t think it’s physically possible for me to carry 3 weeks worth of Yen around with me all the time. At some point I will have to leave it in my room. I can’t spend all day snowboarding, or go out on the town, with Y130,000 in my pockets!!! I think cash plus a travelex and my bank card may be the way to go. Or would the travelex be the same deal as my bank card because they would both be in aussie dollars?

Of course I may misinterpreting you…

Just back. Had a great trip but was a bit of downer paying twice and a bit compared to last years rates for everything. $12 beers and $12 red bulls on the mountain just got a bit too rich.

As someone else said, Canada ( or Russia! ) is looking good for next year.