Gimp, Ive now got my front foot at +16deg and that felt much better, but still got tender after a few hours, (but not bad enough that I needed a crutch/ambulance!!) Next time i hit the snow I might try a bit more again and see how it goes!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
Torihada, hehe, I mountain bike with a friend who fell off and ended up with exactly the same injury, and resulting 'tent' on his shoulder - he's also decided to live with it.

He is also living with his wife, who has put her thumb down and decided he's no longer allowed to ride!!

One of the guys I ride with got into trouble with his wife when she saw our headcam footage on youtube; 'oh you think you're better than the rest of them, you haven't got any knee pads, arm pads etc etc' He promptly bought said protection, left pads in car, went for ride, had a crash and hobbled home with injured knee. His wife still thinks he was wearing his pads. Sometimes they do know better.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Well I was out wake boarding on the weekend again ... and met the park owner. A champion water skier who still indulges on a regular basis who is in his EIGHTIES!!! The man looked 60 tops!

That is impressive. Something to aim for surely!

Where at you been young Geoffrey? Riding powder, I hope!

Not Yet I don,t get out there untill 19 March.

Not been away But I did have a thing on my PC called a Rootkit

Through no fault of my self.Mcafee did not switch on my virus protection for over 200 days I had to reboot my system and I lost loads of stuff.Very angry veryangry veryangry veryangry

Originally Posted By: a pea
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Well I was out wake boarding on the weekend again ... and met the park owner. A champion water skier who still indulges on a regular basis who is in his EIGHTIES!!! The man looked 60 tops!

That is impressive. Something to aim for surely!

Yea.
Tho Wakeboarding/Freeboarding/Waterskiing can be much kinder on the body, especially if you take it easy, compared to downhill skiing.

I hope to be able to do both when I'm 80 too!

EEEeeeeeee...BUNGEEE jumping.... not for ME either!

I am happy to be getting my little adrenalin rush from snowboarding and wake boarding thank you very much - throwing myself off a bridge or platform or whathave you to be kaboinged back upward by a massive elastic band around my ankles (which are not so great after years of ballet when I was a girl) - does not sound like fun.

YES - I have found wake boarding to be more forgiving than snowboarding - although I have been winded, given whiplash and landed with enough of a face plant as to rip my feet out of the nicely tightened boots! But the impact is generally softer which has given me more confidence to try the jumps and tricks and switch riding - and then I find I am trying them out more on the snow....so it is complementary.

AGE is just a number... I am 40 in two weeks. And inside I feel 20. My sore shoulder feels like it is 40, but there is always drugs and massage thereapists :-)

Originally Posted By: a pea
Quote:
Hey! 80 ain't that far off!

How old are you JA, if you don't mind me asking!

mathematically speaking ... three quarters of 80 would be ... 60. Actually, 61 in April.

I have seen people who are scared have more fun with Bungee. If you are going to Queenstown NZ, Nevis Highwire 134m is the one! I went with some brazilian friends and one of them was scared of heights. It's really amazing to see someone confront one's fear and win. For me, I love heights and I have flying dreams. Bungee is cool because you get a bit of ground rush, you can see all the details when you are falling. It's a way safer option than BASE jumping. I broke my ankle on my first BASE jump when I was 47. No I'm not suicidal now. My favorite is jumping from a hot air balloon with parachute.. biggrin

But, explain to me why any sane person would jump out of a perfectly good, operating aircraft?

Beats the heck out of me! I'll stay in the plane, with power, wings, landing gear and someone in control, thanks very much.

OK, I know, I'm a BOF (and proud of it!) but ...

anyone?

Your first tandem skydive is a novelty. You are doing something against your instinct and you will go through a lot until you are out of the door. I had second thoughts when I was at 7000ft. You just have to do it. But I have seen grown up big boys acting macho before the flight and after landing puking and fainting. I have never seen a girl puke or faint.

With experience you use your body as if it is a wing, converting some of the vertical velocity to horizontal by deflectiing the relative wind. You fly. Your fall 80kmh glide 120kmh ...pure bodyflight. Some wear wing suits for better glide. And then to top it up, you fly a semi ridged ram-air wing (parachute) to the ground. The world of Leonaldo Da20 come true.

Applied physics in action. I used to think downhill skiing is the closest thing to flying...what more can I say.

have fun...

biggrin

that's called static line parchuting. Not exactly skydiving.

I remember that feeling. Engine switched off, wooshing noises all round, cloud bits at your feet. "GO" cupcake postion, One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, SHIT, chute opens. Frozen in fear. If that first chute failed, I wouldn't have been ablet to deploy the spare. And to top it off, of all the grass that is Swansea airport, I landed on tarmac.