• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

torihada, I took up taekwondo 11 years ago, and kickboxing 7(?) years ago. I'm 46 this year and still train 5 times a week. In that time Ive managed to break 17 bones. Lucky for me I only do it for fun eh? lol

I dislocated my shoulder on a road bike when a car pulled in front of me and I landed on the other side on my shoulder. Ive also managed to suffer a significant case of bursitis on my knee and had to get around 100mls of fluid drained from it, when I came off my mountain bike doing downhill.

Just hoping that none of this decides to catch up with me when I get a bit older lol

arthritis, arthritis, arthritis and some more. You will be in great pain from your joints.

And how does one dislocate one's shoulder permanently? Are you then a hunchback?

I will take it very easy on the slopes. Good luck to you.

ah Thursday, I didnt say that it was permanent, but it has lost a bit of its flex and movement these days, but no biggie.

I'm just ever reliant that our medical researchers will come up with a genuine cure for arthritis long before mine sets in!

That will be good ! but at the meanwhile glucosamine helps provided you are not allergic to it. I have 5 fractures in the past 6 years, 1 from pushbike, 1 from base jmp. 1 unknown, 2 from snowboarding. It's now 6 weeks since I did my elbow and I'm out there. Arnica is good, too. My recovery time hasn't been affected by aging yet, flexibility better than most youngsters, however my eyesight needs longer arms and they aren't growing....

cheers..

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
ah Thursday, I didnt say that it was permanent, but it has lost a bit of its flex and movement these days, but no biggie.

I think Thursday was talking about Torihada, with his permanently seperates shoulder. That might be enough to qualify for handicapped parking.

I prefer the Glucosamine Hydrochloride, seems to be easier to absorb (and require smaller doses) than does Gluc. Sulfate.

That may be all in the mind, but Since starting on G HCl, I have not needed the almost weekly visits to the chiropractor that were the norm for a prolapsed disc and various other (dare I say it, "age related") ailments stemming from a mis-spent youth.

Jynxx, Arnica, I'm not familiar with that one.

But I do take glucosamine. There's contradictory evidence that it actually doesnt do anything, but if you can afford it, then why not??

I also take multi-vitamins, fish oil, calcium, vitamin C, and Folate (I actually rattle for an hour or so after breakfast!!)

biggrin biggrin biggrin

I take the glucosamine hydrochloide (vegetable base), too. I agree, I don't get diarrhea like with the sulfate. It does do wonders to some people, others have serious allergic reactions (life threatening in some cases) and some show no improvement.

Arnica comes in oral dose and also Arnica+Hypericum cream is good for bone healing.

my calcium dose is yogurt and for Vit c it's orange juice. . I eat a lot of salmon, or else fish oil is good!

cheers

Originally Posted By: ger

I think Thursday was talking about Torihada, with his permanently seperates shoulder. That might be enough to qualify for handicapped parking.

I've got a Grade III shoulder seperation (acromioclavicular separation or AC separation): this means that all the tendons joining my collarbone to my shoulder joint are snapped, so my collarbone now 'tents' the skin above my left shoulder. So I have a large round bump on my lefthand shoulder. I didn't have it operated on as the procedure was to saw off the end of your clavicle and nail/screw tendons back into place. Reasons for not doing this is the certaintity of getting athritis. My shoulder muscles should build up over time to compensate for the loss of over head lifting strength (when I manual I still pull the bike to the right). For anyone who's interested here's some headcam footage of the crash
you can ffwd to 4 mins for the interesting bit.

In a couple of weeks I'm off for a weekend of uplift & DH fun; just bought some rigid knee/shin gaurds, elbow/forearm guards, freeride gloves and a full face lid. Undoubtedly I'll scare myself sh*tless, have an enormous grin from ear to ear and hopefully be able to walk away. If you're not crashing you're not pushing yourself. doh

Well I was out wake boarding on the weekend again ... and met the park owner. A champion water skier who still indulges on a regular basis who is in his EIGHTIES!!! The man looked 60 tops!

Now that is how I wanna go out.

Pushing it...living it and going for it and looking 20 years younger than I really am.....now where was that botox...?

Jynxx, Arnica, I'm not familiar with that one.

But I do take glucosamine. There's contradictory evidence that it actually doesnt do anything, but if you can afford it, then why not??

I also take multi-vitamins, fish oil, calcium, vitamin C, and Folate (I actually rattle for an hour or so after breakfast!!)

Does any of this stuff actually truly make a difference beyond what a normal, relatively healthy diet would give?
Personally I don't eat all that healthy (it would be my last consideration when choosing food) or take any pills or supplements, just interested if people actually notice a difference taking all that stuff.

Actually, GN, I eat quite healthy - +1 is good to me that way! - but a prolapsed disc and some youthful injuries to toes meant regular trips to the chiropractor. Since taking regular glucosamine, I have needed fewer and fewer visits, to the point that I haven't been since mid-2007!

I'm no medico, but the chiropractor asked about it, and was happy to be given a positive response.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
That front foot pain.. I get that and a friend of mine gets it, too. I take it as a good sign that I am boarding on my front foot but that doesn't help... I started going switch this season and that made a difference for me. And lots of leg stretching and knee rotation exercise!
cheers

Jynxx, Gareth,

What are the angles on your bindings? If the front foot angle is low you will get a lot of lateral force going through your foot and knee when you move your weight forward on the board. Increase the front foot angle so the toe is pointing more towards the front of the board. It will mean the weight and force will translate through the knee on a less oblique angle and will feel more natural. Well, it worked for me.

You mean my stance setup? I set mine at +21, -15 duck.

I can understand your reasoning for front foot angle increase but I've dialed it in where it feels good to go and can ride switch. I don't have that much "Ganimata" (bow legs) to go +30, -21 but I 'll try out another 3 degrees on both sides.

cheers for your insight....

I'm not even sure +30 and -21 is even humanly possible. With a binding set up like that you've probably got bigger problems than a low angle! Do you find that the girls and the lifties laugh at you? wink

Have you tried riding with both angles positive - the stress on the front leg might stem from the fact that your rear leg might not (not at all sure of the biomechanics of here ) isn't as supportive as it would be in a front facing position when you move your weight forward in the snowboard?

My set up is roughly +20 and +9. With a low angle on the front I was getting a lot of pain accross the top of my front foot whenever I rode hard on the groomers. By increasing the angle I found the transverse pain dissappeared.

+9! Goodness... reminds me of the downhill snowboarders in Zermatt - they were a fair bit more than +9, but not sure I could ride in positve territory on the rear - although I think I might go a bit wider on the front foot - I have been very conservative up until now.

I really noticed the need to turn out more duck on my wakeboard after getting back from Zermatt - but I think the snowboard needs to be moved also.

Do you not find it difficult to ride switch with a positive rear stance?

Ah, but you see I don't ride switch. I can do it when I have to but it is essentially riding backwards and like patting your tummy while rubbing your head - just feels all wierd.

I don't really see the point in riding switch. Maybe if I was a park rat and the board had a nuetral stance with the bindings in the dead centre of the board but the boards I have all have a slight set back so performance (powder and groomer) when riding switch drops off significantly.

Well, when I stand and look at my feet, it's slight duck stance, not both positive... When I tried surfing in Oz nearly 30 years ago I was picking myself up both goofie and regular. I don't surf anymore. by the way...

Now I am practicing my switch more, eventually I will ride it pretty much the same. I think it will be great! Imagine going off a natural kicker in pow, you don't have to complete the air with 360's. Can do 180 increments.

My girlfriend has changed to slight duck from both positive. I don't now how she can ride with such a variation after 5 years but she is enjoying riding switch for the first time and good at it.

So, that is why the lifties are smiling...I thought because I always say gooday razz

I don't know about the girls... she's going to hassle me if I check them out too much. biggrin

Torihada, hehe, I mountain bike with a friend who fell off and ended up with exactly the same injury, and resulting 'tent' on his shoulder - he's also decided to live with it.

He is also living with his wife, who has put her thumb down and decided he's no longer allowed to ride!!