Hello. I am Daisuke, I am from Iwate.

I was skiing since I went with school in Iwate.

Now I am (about, maybe a little more!) 35 year old. Still I am good shape but I noticed recently my skiing don't become better -- but maybe the opposite. I suppose we can't fight the body become older than before!

lol

I still try to improve though. It's great fun.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35!! Pfttt! I hadn't even learned to ski by then!! 49 and a beginner, me! Now a strong Intermediate after 10 years and about 15 weeks total lifetime skiing.

35 isn't old in any normal persons books. Only professional sports people decline around that point because they need all their body can give for a period of 15 years or more and it starts to take it's toll faster than us mere mortals.

My father is 54, needs 2 knee re-constructions and weighs in at 125kg (former rugby union prop) and he just learnt how to wind surf. Would have been sooner but I'm an impatient teacher lol.

Point is you're never too old and if you think you're going backwards at 35 I feel it may be because you're expecting too much of yourself!

Hell I feel old because I'm 23 (turning 24 in Hakuba - best b'day ever!) and most of my rugby team mates are now only pushing 20 - every time I think that stupid thought I give myself a reality check and nail one of the little buggers in tackle drills for fun dance

Get out there and have fun dude!!!! Stop the silly talk lol.

a pea - take heart....you can still learn new stuff as you get older you just need to toughen up to the pain a bit!

I learnt to snowboard at 37, I will be 40 in a few weeks. I cracked a rib in Switzerland three weeks ago just a couple of days into our snow adventure, but I sucked it up and kept riding with a little help from some pain killers and the odd Gluhwein ;-)

Then I got home Friday morning and was doing huge jumps on my wakeboard by Saturday afternoon - still with a painful cracked rib, and only having learnt to wake board in October!

No way I am getting old gracefully in front of the TV!!!!!!!! I'm with JA - we need to go down disgracefully living life hard and full every single day!

i'm 45 going on 21! (thats physical, not mental-age people!!)

Some of my joints would prefer to be a bit younger, but it doesnt stop me from exerting myself, and showing most 21 yr old up a bit too!

My father-in-law is 67 this year and has slowed down a little bit - he cycles on average 90km per day, 7 days a week!!

One thing I am learning to enjoy more is massage!

There is nothing better than having a day skiing, then have an onsen and massage.

Quote:
My father-in-law is 67 this year and has slowed down a little bit - he cycles on average 90km per day, 7 days a week!!

That is impressive!

Originally Posted By: a pea
One thing I am learning to enjoy more is massage!
There is nothing better than having a day skiing, then have an onsen and massage.

Quote:

That is impressive!

OR possibly insane!

I'm going with insane >_>;

I remember this 66 year old gentleman coming in for a lesson. As you'd expect, I thought he'd do skiing but he just grinned at me and said he wanted a shot at snowboarding (his first time ever). He perservered for 3 days of lessons and actually got quite good...

If I get to 66 and can still remember my own name, I'd be impressed!

Originally Posted By: Ryoma
If I get to 66 and can still remember my own name, I'd be impressed!

Hey!!! 66 ain't that old!! I got (for the first time ever, this season in Nozawa) a "seniors" discount on lift tix. Only another 6 seasons to go!! I promise, though, I will NOT come ask you for boarding lessons! Flexibility and a prolapsed disk in the spine mean I would rather NOT put my body through that particular torture. I learned to ski at 49, so consider myself a reformed non-skier.
grandpa

I'm 38 and have been telemarking since I was 14. Unlike Gareth I most certainly do not feel like 21 physically but mentally I doubt I've aged much (at least I try not to). My knees are certainly starting to feel it. Although I can still crank out some nice turns I often pay for it at the end of the day. Am considering the idea of getting an AT setup because parallels are just so much easier but just not quite ready to lock my heels in yet.

Telemark sounds rough on the knees. I feel it in the knees more the next day but when I'm on the hill I feel like I still have almost as much chops as when I was 18. More now actually, if it's powder coz when I was 18 I'd hardly skied pow on the East coast. Actually I felt like a total rockstar last weekend in the Hakuba sidecountry.

Anyway...I refuse to admit that there's anything I can't do now at 38 that I could do at 18. Just have to stay in good shape.

Hi, Daisuke... You must be pretty amused to see everyones response.. It's obvious most people have age related issues about how we see ourselves.

I just have to point out theirs a big difference whether you are Japanese or a westerner.

Like if you are a Japanese girl you are considered "out of use by date" when you are over 25. At the same time 45 year old will still look 25 and 70 year old 40. You don't have to prove anything to the outside world how you are being perceived, it's a matter of how you feel or you accepting yourself. With guys, yeah there is "SA", a difference between OJIN and OJISAN.

One thing in common, though. When people get old, they don't automatically get wise. They become silly....hehehe

cheers

I'm turning into an old fart / dirty old man pretty quick, but still love skiing.

My last birthday I turned 29 btw.

The fact that the last several birthdays I also turned 29 is irrelevant.

But alas I, too, felt myself slowing down during the early 30's.

Not to worry, just gotta take it a little easier and dont push the knees too hard.

watching telemarkers you have to wonder how much it challenges the knees.

I snowboard and on my right, front foot (goofy) the tendon on the outsideof the arch of the foot really sufffers. I can board for about two hours, then have to give it a break. Ive increased the angle of the front foot binding to around 16 deg, and that seems to help a bit.

Pain is quite severe but goes away with an hour's rest (and a paracetamol!) I might get some advice and see if a shoe insert or something might help

That front foot pain.. I get that and a friend of mine gets it, too. I take it as a good sign that I am boarding on my front foot but that doesn't help... I started going switch this season and that made a difference for me. And lots of leg stretching and knee rotation exercise!

cheers

Was 38 when I learnt to snowboard (bypassed that skiing lark) 5 years ago. Now have seriously got into mountainbiking in the last 18 months (spent last 25yrs cycling on the road), so far smashed me knees twice and seperated my left shoulder permanently. I'm going out fighting, broken and battered with a big grin. stretcher.gif