• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

usually a ski school run program which gives local kids a chance to be budding ski racers, not cheap but the kids train hard and have fun as well.

In Hakuba we have seen a drop in numbers in the last few years in these programs...i wonder what the other ski resorts in Japan are like?

Dear All,

It's the monster tree still available in April?

I went to Zao in Early January 2009. Would like to go again.

Or any other things to do in Zao in early april (e.g 10april 2009).

Hope to hear the feedback from you all.

Thanks a lot.

Oblivion,

Yep, Juhyo (iced tree) is much bigger years back.

I read about one articles from research report in Japan recently (early Feb), this phenomena will gone in 20 years time due to global warming now.

Hi there, yes it will be sad and indeed they are climbing higher I feel. It is very unusual for us to have rain at top but this season we have a few times. sadface

But here are some nice photos from recent

ILoveZao_158.jpg

ILoveZao_169.jpg

ILoveZao_165.jpg

ILoveZao_156.jpg

ILoveZao_151.jpg

ILoveZao_153.jpg

Carina Lau, was in a taxi that almost ran me over in the Hirafu car park 2004. She also sat the whole morning in the Kogen mess waiting for Tony.

I dunno how my wife can recognise and remember what these people are called. I spend my time just oggling the talent in passing and trying not to break anything on the slopes.

That occasion is partly the resason more HKers are skiing. Dumbasses.

Sorry, back to Zao. 10m monsters at night would be quite a thing.

ahh she is the actress who got kidnapped.....

back on topic...I wonder why these monsters are not at other resorts around japan

Well why they are at ZAO is written here

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/spotlight/yamagata-zao-onsen.html

Juhyo can be found on a limited number of mountains in the northeastern areas of Japan. There are a few climatic conditions necessary for them to appear - evergreen conifer, fixed strong winds and super cool water droplets and snow depth of between two and three meters. The super cool water gradually adheres to the trees and develops the Juhyo unique shapes. The locals call this shape "Shrimp Tails". Whatever they are called, it makes for spectacular scenes and is one of the reasons why people visit Zao Onsen each season.

December (Early Stage):

The trees begin to be coated by super cool water forming ice.

January - Growth Stage:

The "Shrimp Tail" shapes begin to develop.

February - Golden Stage:

The ice monsters grow to large-scale statues. This is the peak season for Juhyo.

March - Declining Stage:

The ice monsters begin to fade....