• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks SKI, I've had a look through most of the reviews on this site but it's hard to get a really good feel for a place without being able to ask questions. I'm not really a snow snob and if it's fresh I'm fine with almost any terrain... Is it the kind of place that you would spend a weekend, long weekend or week? Is it rather varied or does it offer pretty similar runs? I don't want to base a decision on going there with only the reviews I've read... otherwise, I probably won't do (seeing as most of the reviews are rather negative!)

I know what you mean Black Mountain, no worries. Just showing you in case you hadn't read them.

For me, I want to stay a night or two in Zao. The village is good, great onsen, nice little place. As others say the views are quite unique there. Time it well with the weather and you're in for a treat. I'd say the runs are fairly varied - but mostly in that beginner > intermediate range. There's the 'walking' needed that people complain about but it's not that bad, I have walked at many a skijo.

I think it's definitely worth a visit at least once.

Actually I will write my own review soon actually, that and a few other resorts. Perhaps we should all sit down and write a few for places we know - after all a lot of people read them and get their thoughts from there.

Originally Posted By: SKI
Actually I will write my own review soon actually, that and a few other resorts. Perhaps we should all sit down and write a few for places we know - after all a lot of people read them and get their thoughts from there.

That's a good idea. If there was a kind of 'review form' that we could fill out with rather specific questions I think it would benefit everyone.

Hope you find some snow this weekend! (or next time you go out!!)
  • SnowJapan Admin

Yes, please do remember to write a review for resorts you know if you get a bit of time.

SKI has posted the right links above.

The Resort Reviews get a lot of traffic, so it is good to have current ones up there.

Posting a review will go some way to helping other people who are in the situation you were in before you went.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Sorry, kind of a vague question. Was just wondering what the terrain is like. I've heard that the scenery is beautiful but the mountain is not very challenging. Is it true?

It is an interesting mountain. The main challenge is navigation rather than terrain.

Zao is my favourite ski jo in Tohoku, but I haven't skied in Fukushima or Aomori, so it is not a true comparison. The terrain is no more or no less challenging than anywhere else up here. Without practice you can't relate the piste map to the gelende, so you'll be doing some walking. No hardship when you are out amongst the snow monsters.

By local standards, Zao is big and varied. Much more interesting than Appi IMHO.

Definitely worth experiencing. If the terrain doesn't blow you away, put it down to a good onsen/culture trip.

wink

I think the skiing and (usually) good snow conditions will be good for most people though.