Hello there folks, hope you're all well??

Only 2 weeks & 3 days until we leave for Japan, woohoo!!!!!!!!

Question for you guys though. A few of our party have tattoos, one of them almost covers his whole arm & shoulder, one of them is a girl, what's the scoop with hot tubs / onsens / communal bathing / massages (specifically sports massages)etc in Hakuba? Will my friends be admitted to any of these types of facility?

Also, just out of interest, our lodge (Tabi Tabi) has a hot tub, will us girlies be allowed to chill in it with the boys or will we be separated?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pete

I read stuff that say tattoos are a still taboo in Japan, but then I read soemthign else that says otherwise! Really wanted answers from people who've experienced it themselves, especially in Hakuba.

Hi Klingon

I already searched back, and there's only 1 conversation that's relevant (the one Pete started) but it's still not answering all of my questions? My post isn't only about onsens, or tattoo's for that matter??

Can anyone help?

OK didn't know. I don't know about your lodge - why not ask them?

Onsen is usually men and women separate unless they are private reserved ones that some places have. As far as I know (which is limited). I'm sure some others will be able to help.

friend

smile Thanks Klingon, your answer is appreciated smile

Thank goodness there's another girl coming if they split men & women up - I'd be gutted if I had to relax on my own!

I'll drop Tabi an email and see what they say.

What's other peoples experiences in other hotels/lodges etc, have the man & women been segregated even in small hot tubs??

Depends on the onsen, but for example Houshii onsen in Gunma which is an onsen hotel in the middle of the woods just up from a ski jo, is actually mixed, men and woman can go in together with nothing on. The changing areas are segragated, but otherwise both go into the same bath.

I have been to several mixed onsen around the country, both at hotels / lodges as well as just onsens.

I think around 90% or more are segragated, but there are a few percent that are not.

The other types that are quite popular in the smaller Ryokans (Japanese Inns) are small family baths, where by the whole family or party can share one bath, they usually have a small changing area and bath. These type you can lock the door and be private, just your group!

In most onsen, you are not supposed/allowed to wear any clothes, so you'll probably be relieved to be separated from the blokes! There are one or two where men and women bathe together - they give you something to wear in the onsen - only ever been to one like that though. Many onsen in Japan are particular about tatoos and may ask for them to be covered, or may not let you in at all. My friend was refused entry to the local sento (public bath) because of a 2 by 3 inch tattoo on his leg. Some sports clubs and gyms wont allow people with tattoos. Plenty other places dont mind though.

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
hmmm, so I need to bring my bikini to enjoy the onsen properly? lol

Usually nothing at all! I have been to a large onsen complex somewhere in Izu, forgot where, there everyone wheres swimming wear and can go in and out of the 30 or so different baths that they have. Usually woman are given a towl to cover them selves with, but not all places allows that!

When I first came to Japan I thought it strange bathing naked with other strangers, but didn't take long to get used to it, now I don't care whether its mixed or not! After all they are all strangers to me, apart from when I go with my friends or wife and daughter!

As far as Tatoos, I guess if you cover them up before you go in, the owners wouldn't know, and they usually don't come in to the actual bath to check, so should be ok I guess. I don't have tatoos so can't speak from experience!

Naked?? Hmmmm. Not sure I’m up for seeing my b/f’s mates bits, nor them seeing mine! I’ll take my bikini just in case. I’m hoping the hot tub in Tabi Tabi will allow mixed bathing in swimwear!!!! Might drop them an email to check…..

i think thats for the best if you email them as has already been mentioned it's normal not to wear anything at all..the only thing in the water should be your body,nothing else.

In most sento there are separate baths , onsen might be mixed depending on the size and the location..bigger places usually are separated.

Also you are often given a small towel that people will discreetly hold over their private parts when they are walking around out of the water.

For people not used to it it can feel abit uncomfortable at first, but there is no reason to be as there's nothing strange about it..it's not like you have never seen a naked person before razz

But you will often notice that there can be a distinct lack of younger japanese girls in the mixed baths..mainly due the now much more frequent gaijin visitors and the influence of western prudishness ;/

At least thats my experience and what my japanese friends have told me.

Last time was back in juli and a girl friend (who is japanese) and me went to a tiny mixed onsen in kyoto and she was the only younger girl there, she told me she didnt mind but barely any of her friends go to mixed ones at all so..

Cover any tats with elastoplast/elastic sticky sports tape or similar.

Mixed bathing ("konyoku", not "konyaku" which is even more rubbery) is relatively rare although more common in Tohoku than most other areas. There are a few mixed onsen near hachimantai for example.

There are very few legit onsen that allow you to bathe in swim suits (it's considered gauche) however when you enter konyoku there are separate changing areas and usually a divider/partition in the water near the change room so that you can't be seen by the opposite sex before you enter the water. Also at most konyoku the water is milky so you can't take a perve under the water either.

I doubt very much that there are any konyoku in Hakuba however If you are at an onsen and it's a quiet time and the staff are cool you may be able to integrate the male bathing area (never the female) however that's not usually an option.

Make sure you learn proper onsen etiquette or you will be very unpopular with the Japanese guests/staff.

Be very careful of dehydration from onsen especially if it's a real onsen and if you are drinking. The high mineral content can suck the water out of you pretty rapidly.

Although tattoos are becomming fairly common amongst youth even in Japan, the old prejudice of "tattoo = yakuza" (mafia, gangster) still pervades. Expect to have issues with tattoos in public baths and onsens.

Is this "hot tub" really just a hot tub, or is it an onsen (hot spring) bath? If it is just a hot tub, there should be no swimwear/mixed bathing issues.

Best bet will be contacting your lodge beforehand with your questions.

Onsens issues with tattoos is really a case by case kind of thing here. I have tattoos and have been refused at some places and had to show my tattoos to prove they weren't gang related (as if a blue eyed gaijin would be yakuza). To be honest though, it's pretty rare that onsen in 'touristy' spots have a problem with tattoos. As I said, it's case by case, call ahead (or have someone call for you!) if you are planning on travelling any distance to have a bath and you should be fine. As for mixed baths in Hakuba, they are few and far between. A few years ago we found an outdoor private bath near Happo that allowed us to rent it by the hour. If you can find something like that you won't be disappointed as you make the rules (although changing in the snow kind of sucked!!!)

Fang has it spot on! Be kind and considerate and you'll love it!

Hi guys

Thank you all very much for your replies!!!

I found out from Tabi that they actually have a Japanese style bath and it is privately rented out so we can all chill together covered up!! Yeay!!!!

I will be doing A LOT of reading up on Japanese customs, do’s and don’ts etc – the last thing I’d want to do is offend anyone!

2 weeks, 2 days, 19 hours & 40 minutes til take off!!!!

- Don't use phones on public transport

If all the people during rush hour talked on their phones, it'd be chaos worse than it is now.

- Cover tattoos

While the taboo is lessening now, it still upsets a lot of people and can attract unwanted attention.

- Don't wear clothes in an onsen

The onsen ettiquette is quite strictly adhered to. A lot of it is common sense so I wouldn't worry too much(plus, there's usually hundreds of signs up or in pamphlets)

- It's more polite to use cash rather than card (though card is still accepted)

Japan's a cash society. Most people don't like to use cards because it's an inconvenience for the business (due to the card rates). It's not rude to use a card but it's noticed and appreciated when you refrain from using your cards.

- Don't expect people to understand English

What it also means is that don't expect to have perfect communication and don't be suprised when everything doesn't go smoothly. Plus, as we say in Japanese, if they do speak English, then it's one more thing that can brighten up your day.

Gareth: I think that's a few razz

Quote:
Don't use phones on public transport
If all the people during rush hour talked on their phones, it'd be chaos worse than it is now.

Had to laugh at that one - all people do use them it seems on the trains I get on!