• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah GO I have often wondered about the weight thing. I way about 51kg so I reckon I should be allowed more baggage limit.

I got stuck next to the MOST HORRENDOUS man ever from a flight from Queenstown to Gold Coast. He was so big he spilled into my seat, Had NEVER used deodorant, and coughed for the whole flight. Bonus of it the flight crew felt so sorry for me they gave me an endless supply of wine. thumbsup

Well,as a strong supporter of things that make sense ..

I very heavily support the idea that tax free should be purchased just before embarkation as to save room n weight for luggage,further it should hopefully soon be a norm that a person can only bring a certain TOTAL weight onto the plain to make it even. Ie..150 kg or so..or somehow relevant to the plane they fly..like take max flight weight/seats etc..if you weigh 100 you can take 50kg including everything (youll have to stand on scales aswell as baggage :p).as you know whatplane it is when u book normally they can tell u immediately. If you weigh 150 or more you dont have to pay extra,but cant bringany baggage free of charge! Any addweight here would be classified as overweight baggage (it could also be made so any of ure own kgs over the limit count.evenbetter but less feasable). This makes much more ecoomical sense plus it sets a clear,even line.

Plus it will make flying more friendly as people wont have to complain about injustice with the weightsystem and perhaps create a whole new market..light people hanging around airports and helping people out by taking baggage withem for others razz

Families etc would be able to total their allowance etc.it would ballance itself out just fine

Originally Posted By: DJElo
and perhaps create a whole new market..light people hanging around airports and helping people out by taking baggage withem for others razz
Families etc would be able to total their allowance etc.it would ballance itself out just fine

Hehe, could you imagine, "hello, I'm fat, can you carry my bag for me. I promise it doesnt contain a bomb or drugs!!" lol

actually..yes i can.. I would totally do this if the guy payed me..and sadly in todays world after i had a contract saying i wouldnt be taking any responsibilities..

although technically you shouldnt get into any trouble as youd never actually have to pick it up..just check it in ..so the real guy would be picking it up at arrival and walking through customs etc..

Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
I'm wondering when the weight of the passenger will be taken into account? I'm a lean 75kg, so I wonder if a 100kg person would be allowed less baggage than me?

From another forum, and on this exact topic ...

Quote:
Obese have right to two airline seats
November 21, 2008, 7:47 am

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Obese people have the right to two seats for the price of one on flights within Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Thursday.

The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.

The airlines had lost an appeal at the Federal Court of Appeal in May and had sought to launch a fresh appeal at the Supreme Court. The court's decision not to hear a new appeal means the one-person-one-fare policy stands.

The appeal had been launched by Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and WestJet.

CBC News reports that the court's decision means airlines must offer a "one person, one fare" policy to disabled people who require room for an attendant during the flight or require extra room for a wheelchair, or for people who are clinically obese and take up more than one seat.

The airline industry has argued it would lose too much money by doing so.

Calgary law Professor Linda McKay-Panos, has been arguing for the rights of obese travellers since she was charged for one and a half seats on a 1997 Air Canada flight, according to CBC.

McKay-Panos argued anyone who is clinically obese has a disability and should not have to pay for more than one seat. She has polycystic ovary syndrome, an incurable condition that can lead to obesity.

WestJet spokesman Richard Bartrem reportedly said there are still many unanswered questions.

"Will we be putting criteria in place to determine whether somebody travels with an attendant out of necessity or out of desire?" he is quoted as saying.

"What is morbidly obese? How are we going to be able to make that determination and implement that respectfully, and consistently and fairly?"

On that forum, it was suggested (and I fully support this idea) that there should be a fare pricing structure that includes the mass of the traveller. ie, the ticket costs, say, USD1450 and that includes a total mass of the traveller and their luggage of, say 150kg. That means that someone who is 90kg wringing wet would have an allowance of 60kg luggage and the 120kg monster would be allowed 30kg.

Seems to me that there is a limit to the weight that a plane can operate with and that the weight of the passengers should be a part of the calculations.

[quote=JA ie, the ticket costs, say, USD1450 and that includes a total mass of the traveller and their luggage of, say 150kg. That means that someone who is 90kg wringing wet would have an allowance of 60kg luggage and the 120kg monster would be allowed 30kg.

I had to chuckle at this JA - not many 90kg guys would be considered light or small. Anybody under 6ft who weighs 90kg is going to be carrying a few extra kgs and will probably take up more than his fair share of space. And Monsters have rights too, you know! What about overweight vampires and werewolves? Shouldn't they have to pay extra as well, or do you just have it in for monsters for all those years they hid under your bed?

wink

Back to the topic of luggage,

Here's a tip that all the other kiteboarders out there would be familiar with already.

Despite sporting equipment regulations and charges the world over, there's pretty much none that will charge for golf clubs. Reason being that it would directly target their business class passengers who are generally the big spenders for the airlines.

So the obvious thing to do is get all your gear into a golf bag. Given all the gear you need to take with you, the kiteboarding world went one step further and the major brands all came out with their own bags branded "Golf" on the outside for this purpose.

It's still obviously at your own risk when you get to the check-in, but having said that, I've got friends who swear by them.

Originally Posted By: The Gimp
Originally Posted By: JA
ie, the ticket costs, say, USD1450 and that includes a total mass of the traveller and their luggage of, say 150kg. That means that someone who is 90kg wringing wet would have an allowance of 60kg luggage and the 120kg monster would be allowed 30kg.

I had to chuckle at this JA - not many 90kg guys would be considered light or small. Anybody under 6ft who weighs 90kg is going to be carrying a few extra kgs and will probably take up more than his fair share of space. And Monsters have rights too, you know! What about overweight vampires and werewolves? Shouldn't they have to pay extra as well, or do you just have it in for monsters for all those years they hid under your bed?

wink

Dunno where you are going with this, but the example was just that, an example. If you want to go down a few kg, fine. Try a total of 100kg and then the numbers are different, but the relativities are the same.

Monsters and werewolves have no rights whatsoever! If any of them are on a flight with me they can expect to be staked with whatever I can find that might work (even down to hashi!). Any monster that hides under my bed is very undernourished, the bed is just 3 inches above the floor, not enough room for a decent monster in there!