Hello. I spoke with someone last night from Guernsey. I was surprised to hear it was not part of UK and is it's own country. But in many country list it does not appear. It is confusing to me.

It sounded like interested place though.

LOL, they have their own currency, stamps, government and taxes.

they are part of the commonwealth, but I suspect that they would be very unhappy with people bundling them into the UK collective.

They have very strong french relations too

Akibun, when it comes to politics, the UK is a weird place. The UK is made up of 3 major countries (Scotland, England, Wales) and a province(Northern Ireland). The channel islands, like the Isle of Man are not actually part of the UK but are a Crown dependency, in that the British government is ultimately responsible for them.

The strange thing about the UK is that outside of Politics, in the mind of its people, it isn't really 1 country. Each member country retains its own national identity that sets it apart from the others, with its own unique culture, traditions and language. The most common mistake that most non-UK people make is assuming the the UK = England, when in fact England is but 1 of the parts that make up the UK.

My wife was born there and lived there for 8 years before migrating to Australia. i understand that if she wants to move back there she isnt allowed to buy property for 7 years (not that we could ever afford to buy there!!).

One of her aunties lives in a castle (as a caretaker) and her uncle owns and lives in a converted WWII german bunker!!)

I understand that if you werent born there, you have to have around 10M pounds in assets before they will even bother to look at your Resident application.

lots of people who dont like paying tax!!

a lot of their business is banking, setting up offshore companies.

I know that Derek Warwick (ex Formula One) lives there.

i understand that english actor John Nettles, who played in the tv show Bergerac (based in Jersey)applied for residency, based on all of the good will and promotion he created through the tv show, and was told by the Jersey govt to "bugger orf"

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Akibun, when it comes to politics, the UK is a weird place. The UK is made up of 3 major countries (Scotland, England, Wales) and a province(Northern Ireland). The channel islands, like the Isle of Man are not actually part of the UK but are a Crown dependency, in that the British government is ultimately responsible for them.

The strange thing about the UK is that outside of Politics, in the mind of its people, it isn't really 1 country. Each member country retains its own national identity that sets it apart from the others, with its own unique culture, traditions and language. The most common mistake that most non-UK people make is assuming the the UK = England, when in fact England is but 1 of the parts that make up the UK.

Ah! The good old days of conquest and empire. Life must have been much easier when you could march over the hill and subjugate the bloke next door. Problematic neighbors could be easily dealt with by exterminating the male population and, ahem, appropriating the female population and no messy UN or Human rights issues to deal with. I'm sure there are a few local disputes going on around the world right now that would be sorted out quick smart if people could get medieval with each other.

RENTON from Trainspotting has a great take on being part of the UK: I hate being Scottish. We're the lowest of the **** low, the scum of the earth, the most wretched, servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English, but I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. We can't even pick a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world will not make any **** difference.
Originally Posted By: The Gimp
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver

Ah! The good old days of conquest and empire. Life must have been much easier when you could march over the hill and subjugate the bloke next door. Problematic neighbors could be easily dealt with by exterminating the male population and, ahem, appropriating the female population and no messy UN or Human rights issues to deal with. I'm sure there are a few local disputes going on around the world right now that would be sorted out quick smart if people could get medieval with each other.

RENTON from Trainspotting has a great take on being part of the UK: I hate being Scottish. We're the lowest of the **** low, the scum of the earth, the most wretched, servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat into civilization. Some people hate the English, but I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. We can't even pick a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world will not make any **** difference.

but he was a Junkie, what did he know!! wink
it's great being Scottish!!! thumbsup