1,5 day skittrip from Tokyo in feb..any good suggestions?

First trip for me to japan to test the skiing over there, am super stoked as Ive heard tons of good reports biggrin Been all over the rest of the world from top of rockies and andes to the alpes and now recently new zealand..so japan should be wicked.

Ive got a friend of mine who lives in tokyo who has skied around abit and will probably come with me on the trip..I'm just trying to find the best spot for this short stint.

I've been looking into the yuzawa region and also into nozawa onsen ,the later my pref. atm.

I'm looking for open terrain, steep runs and chutes and of course any chance of good powder biggrin and not to much people.

Most of the places in yuzawa I have checked seemed very geared towards beginners which is a shame..

So any good spots that are quickly reachable from tokyo geared towards experts?

cheers

You most likely will love Nozawa. Heaps of terrain for 1.5 days. 2 hours on the shinkansen to Nagano and then 1 hour on a local train to Togari/Nozawa Onsen station. The town is pretty nice too.

As with alot of places the snow isn't great at the moment but hopefully it'll be back to normal by Feb.

If you are there in the first half of feb let us know. Come out and have a beer with some fellow kiwis.

well,i'll be in jap 16-27th of feb..so middle and end haha.

prolly skiing around the 25th or so razz

thx for the suggestions, will be discussing with my friend. Date also depends on when she can get off work n that razz I def. dont mind riding the shinkansen for abit if it means a chance at good snow biggrin

i really like the idea of the 1,5 day ticket most resorts offer..and some even include free nighta biggrin

golf, where abouts are you and the "fellow kiwis" ?

so,i looked at some of the lodges here on snowjapan in nozawa and the lodge nagano seems really nice and cheap for two students like us hehe..

are there any other ones that you can recommend??

I am only in town 1st - 14th. But a mate of mine Andy (Abe on SJ) is there for the entire season. He knows another couple of kiwis up there too.

There are a couple of japanese family run lodges like Masazo and Bun bun that I think are a bit cheaper than lodge Nagano. I could be incorrect on that though. Andy is the guy to talk to about the lodges.

I stayed at Masazo last year and the family who run it are awesome. Super friendly people. They invited me to eat with them most nights. Watch out though because the father can drink like a fish and he expects you to keep up.

haha,sounds wicked biggrin

will def. check.

I'll send Andy a pm this week n see with him what he's up to and if he has any tipps.

Just a quick question, i know it's be asked before here but just wondering specific for nozawa..are tattoo's fine in the public onsen there?? i have a couple so razz

looked up both of them..they look real nice..and look much "homelier" than the lodge..def gonna check with masazo first,then bunbun before the lodge..but will as I said give andy a pm and see.

• 4 weeks later...

bump razz

well,..nozawa in 2 days biggrin if you are around send me a pm or post here and we might be able to hook up on the slopes or at the onsen after wink would be cool to meet some fellow SJ'ers and hear from them more about skiing japan.

ive got a mobile with me so send me a pm and we cna keep in contact that way.soo much easier