Nice pics, muika! I always look for the smoke when I'm visiting Karuizawa. Taken from Kusatsu, I guess this is a view from the North side of the mountain, though? I want to climb that next summer - sulphur dioxide permitting...

I wonder if this is the mountain I could see from Hakuba - it looked like it had smoke coming from the top. I asked some Japanese guys I was with a few years ago if it was a volcano, but they didnt think so...

I see Asama has been smoking a lot the last few days.

They increased volcano warning level from 2 to 3 with increasing activity and earthquake

ç¾åœ¨ã€æµ…é–“å±±ã®å™´ç«è­¦æˆ’レベルã¯ã€€ã€Ž 3 ã€ã€€ã§ã™

(レベルãŒï¼’ã‹ã‚‰ï¼“ã«å¹³æˆï¼’1年2月1日ã«å¼•ã上ãŒã‚Šã¾ã—ãŸï¼‰

Japan's Mount Asama volcano has erupted, spewing smoke almost 2km (1.3 miles) into the air and causing ash to drift over parts of the capital, Tokyo.

There were no reports of injuries or damage in the sparsely populated area around the mountain, 145km north-west of Tokyo.

Chunks of rock from the explosion were found about 1km from the volcano.

Residents living within a 4km radius of the mountain have been urged to be cautious.

Volcanic ash fell on nearby areas as well as parts of Tokyo, Japan's meteorological agency said.

TV reports showed neighbourhoods sprinkled with white flakes.

Mount Asama is 2,568m (8,425 ft) high, with snow-covered peaks. No lava flows could be seen.

The last major eruption of Mount Asama took place in September 2004, when it spewed ash and rock as far as 200km away.

A huge eruption in 1783 caused widespread damage and killed about 1,500 people.

With 108 active volcanoes, Japan is among the most seismically busy countries in the world.

The country lies in the so-called Ring of Fire - a series of volcanoes and faultlines that outline the Pacific Ocean.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
The last time Asama was 'active' like this was just prior to the Chuetsu eathquake, and apparently was linked somehow.

Is that right?
Hmmm.

There was another volcano eruption down in Kyushu today as well.