I see there are some lift tickets for Zao and Kusatsu this week as the giveaway.

I'm curious about Kusatsu. Don't seem to hear much about it. I've read the few reviews and things on it, but wondering if anyone on here has been and what you think?

Thanks!

It's a curious place Kusatsu.

In some ways, it's like 3 small resorts linked up. There's the base area with a short mogul run alongside some fairly tame slopes. Then there's the middle bit at the base of the ropeway with 2 fairly short beginner/lower-intermediate slopes. Then there's the top part that has a couple of short runs and then the long run right back down to the base of the resort (8km I think but at least a few of that is just gliding). Nothing much in terms of challenge and competent intermediate skiers will find themselves bored with the runs fairly soon.

It does have it's charms though. It's high up so the snow quality is often very nice up there (even if there often isn't much snow even 10 minutes or so further down the mountain). If you like long gliding courses, you'll like the top bit down to the bottom of the ropeway. On a clear day the views from the top are spectacular too - you can see over to Shiga Kogen, Myoko in the distance, Mount Naeba, Gunma etc. There's a distinctly 'old school' feel to the place I always thing, and I actually quite like that (unless it's one of the slow pair lifts!)

The village of Kusatsu Onsen is also worth a visit. Some similarities to Nozawa, though Kusatsu has that central "yubatake" area which is very interesting. Basically the source of the hot springs.

img1.jpg

Overall, definitely worth a visit if you ask me.

I quite liked it the one time I went. The snow was really good when we went and up top there it was bitterly cold. It wasn't busy so we had those few courses at the top to ourselves and spent a few fine hours playing in the snow up there.

Bottom part is not worth mentioning.

Smelly place. wink

I was just looking at that - thanks. wave

Looks like a really interesting place. I think I'll enter and see I can win me a ticket!

I love Kusatsu. Been 5 times now, just the once in winter.

My lady's family love going there and we meet up in a hotel and spend a few days in the area. During non snow season, you can quickly get to Shiga Kogen in Nagano, so there's a lot to do in the area.