Minamiuonuma (Niigata) - resort recommendations

Hi there

Been lurking a while and using the site the last few months.

Thanks for the great service.

I was lucky enough to win a ticket to Minamiuonuma as well the other week and thinking of going next weekend.

I've been skiing on and off for a few years and would say I'm lower-intermediate skier (maybe). I like a decent challenge but not mad on moguls. They frustrate me because I'm just not good at negotiating them! Not good enough yet to be bouncing round in meters of powder either, so my favorite slope would be a fairly steep and long one.

Can anyone recommend which resort to be looking at with that in mind?

I'm looking forward to going, enjoying some skiing, taking in the views and taking some photos - will share them on this site, least I can do!

Thank you!

Hi gnoo wave

The ones worth visiting are:

Ishiuchi Maruyama

Centleisure Maiko

Joetsu Kokusai

Muikamachi Hakkaisan

There are others but they are smaller and less interesting.

My personal faves from them are Centleisure Maiko and Muimamachi Hakkaisan.

If you take a look back at my previous posts and photos on this forums/site you'll see lots of info I posted on them.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Hope you enjoy it!

muikabochi lives there and knows the area well. I'd agree with him. Ishiuchi probably gets the biggest numbers of people, but when it's busy it's not much fun, it seems to get quite congested fairly easy. The lifts at Joetsu Kokusai are the most annoying part of that place as they always seem slow and badly planned. Quite like the Atema part over there though.

Went to Hakkaisan for the first time with muika when he took those pics. Good place, I liked it. Bigger than it looks when you approach, it's one big long course at a decent gradient with great trees on each side. I am going to go back after a decent dump of snow I think it will be excellent then.